Find
Notify
Tools

$300 to buy a scope. AR-15.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
So...I've got this AR-15 sitting in the safe. It's got some crapy DPMS upper and a heavy 20" bull barrel.

I currently have a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 scope on it. Obviously it's just out of place as all get out on an AR-15. That scope needs to go on a .375 (one day...).

Soooo, I want to put a scope on with a bit more power. I'm thinking maybe something between 10x max and 16x max.

I'm thinking along these lines:

1. Bushnell Eliete 4200 3-9x40: $300 new. If I could find a used 4200 2.5-10x50 for $300 I think I'd have to jump on it.

2. Bushnell 3200 3-9x50 Firefly: the firefly reticle has some potential for nightwhacking 'yotes...

3. Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 used maybe?

4. Burris? Not likely...haven't been hugely happy with the one I had, but I could be convinced otherwise?

5. Maybe a Leupold VX2? Always liked Leupold...would definitely be used at that price though.

Primary use: Punching paper.
Secondary use: Bunnies. 'Yotes (at night)
Tertiary use: Zombies. 'Cuz, well, you know, they're coming.

New or Used. I'm leaning towards used. Don't really care though.

So, what scope would you buy for $300?

(PS: Some people despise DPMS. So...my crappy DPMS upper on a SunDevil lower, replete with factory 8# military stock trigger and the Leupy scope will only group 1/2" cloverleafs at 100 yards. Yep, crappy DPMS upper. dancing Groups like that, well, you can say anything you want about my crappy rifle!)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikon!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikon definitely. You'll be amazed at how much glass you get for the dollar. The Monarch stuff is really great, but I've been happy with the Prostaff and Buckmaster lines too---particularly for the money.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nikon Monarch... thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9407 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
I put a Bushnell 3200 straight 10 power on my crappy Bushmaster Big Grin, I couldn't be happier. I never was much of a Bushnell fan, and this scope was purchased because it was the only tactical available when I needed it. I have Leupolds, Nikon Monarch, and Swaro's, and this Bushnell is a lot of glass for 219 bucks. I use mine at nite on yote's and wabbits, it's a pretty darn good scope.

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
ACOG...

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"...$300..." Do you have an ACOG for $300? Is it for sale?

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
$300? Sorry, I have no idea what they cost, I was issued one. patriot Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
The Nikon Monarch's are definitely a good scope - but I haven't found a used one in my price range yet.

I think I'm going to break down and get the 4200 Elite 3-9. I found one new for $260 shipped and no tax. Couple that with the 1 year "any reason at all" return policy (and lifetime warranty) and I'll give it a shot.

I'll post up my thoughts...

As to the ACOG - nah. Useless for the intent on this rifle. I'm building a second AR that will wear a Holosight and backup irons...but that's just for fun.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new Sightron 4X16X42 from a fellow on the Varmint Hunter's Forum. I paid just a little bit over $300 for the scope. The Sightron SII scope makes a great varmint scope. And that power is perfect for the AR. If you want his name, just PM me. Personally I think the Sightron is a bit better scope than the ones you listed. But that is just my opinion. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Look at the Vortex scopes. Just put the low end Vortex Crossfire on a &mm STW and am really impressed with the clarity of this scope. As good as my Nikon or Pentax. Got mine as a discount Shot Show display scope and they had knocked $10 off scope, to door was $159.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote