Find
Notify
Tools

I guess Nikon finally made the move
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted
I've used Nikon cameras forever it seems and I used their optics all along. When their first rifle scopes came out, I was delighted with the clarity and design features (I'm still partial to Leupold). I must've spent $20,000 on binoculars over that time, but I just couldn't force myself to by the Swarovski or Leica's for 2 grand. I settled for the 8x42 Nikon Monarchs and they've never disappointed me. So when I heard they'd come out with the EDG binoculars, my interest was peaked. Oh well. These old eyes don't see nearly as well as they once did, but I still have a problem spending $2000 for a pair of binoculars. If anyone has them, let me know what's so much better about them than the Monarch.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only you can answer that question. Do a side by side comparnison and see for yourself.

Don

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Actually, I was hoping that someone would offer me an understandable reason how a 7x35 Bushnell is so different from a 7x35 Swarovski. Anyone?

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
Actually, I was hoping that someone would offer me an understandable reason how a 7x35 Bushnell is so different from a 7x35 Swarovski. Anyone?

Spend a few hours glassing with both. The extra detail you'll see with the Swaro's and the headache you'll have from using the Bushnell will be your answer................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no comparison to Swarovski and Bushnell, even Bushnells top of the line, just are not as clear, or well built. I agree that the current price of european glass is out of line but there is a definate difference. especially in low light conditions. I can glass for hours with my swarovski's but my eyes easily tire after an hour with other brands. One that is close and I use them at work almost every day, are Bruntons. Also the detail of Swarovskis versus bushnell or others is very apparent. Looking long distance at a deer for instance, you can see detail and count points where with the cheaper stuff, all you can see is it is a deer and a buck.

Ask a guide what they prefer. Their livihood depends on good glass.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Thanks kudu. I was facetiously using the Bushnell example just for effect. I hardly think the Nikons are that low on the quality scale but certainly not the Swarovski's either. I wasn't thinking of the devalued dollar playing into that, but it sure makes better sense. I'd been skeptical of the Bruntons and worried they were the Tasco line of glass. Thanks for the help.

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky, my eye sight isn't good enough to take advantage of high quality glass....

my eyesight and high quality optics is like comparing putting high test in a VW... it doesn't make it go any faster!

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've used a lot of mid-range binoculars over the years, then had a chance to buy a pair of 8x32 Swarovskis at a sale price. They are great. Others I've hunted with have often wanted to borrow my Swaros, even when they were using higher powered binoculars! The only problem I'm having is a son who constantly extolls the new Swaro models hoping I'll buy one and give him my old Swaros.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I did a side by side of the Nikon 7 X 42 EDG and a pair of Leica 8 X 42 Ultravids. I prefered the Nikon, just seemed easier on my eyes. Almost the same price of course. It's not the same as looking through them for hours but I think you have to buy them for that.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
It costs $1800 to look through my Swaro 8x32's. Because once you do a comparison you will have to buy a pair. They are that good.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 pairs of Nikon binoculars.
Nikon 8x42 DCF HP cost me $75 used
Nikon 12x56 Monarch ATB $450 new
Nikon Travelite 9x25 $10 used

And the less I paid, the more I like them.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Nikon DCF HG's (Venturers) that pre-date the LX.
Fantastic glass and made me sell my Kahles binocs.
That good.
I have sold a few pairs and can get more if someone is interested.
They retail for about $550.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons why the Euroopean scopes and binocs are so expensive these days is because our Dollar is worth sh_t. WE have put more dollars into the world economy buying oil and other commodities without having enough goods and services that the rest of the world want to buy back from us. ON top of that, we have very low interest rates and nobody wants to invest in the U.S. right now. So that is one reason why European stuff costs a lot right now.

As for binocs, the first good pair of binocs I ever purchased were the Leica BN. The were great, but heavy. So I switched them out for Leica Ultravid. Light, but I couldn't see any difference in quality. I then looked through a pair of Zeiss Victory FLs and saw a difference (at least to my eyes) so I sold the ultravids and purchased the Zeiss and used them a couple of years. And then, one very early morning, on an elk hunt, when it was very low light, and very foggy, I was glassing with another fellow. He had Swarovski Els and I had the Zeiss Victory FLs. I said for the heck of it lets change binocs for a few minutes as I wanted to compare. It was a revelation. There was a tremendos difference between the Zeiss and the Swarovski, at least to my eyes. I sold the Zeiss with no regrets, and am now saving up for the Swarovskis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
One of the reasons why the Euroopean scopes and binocs are so expensive these days is because our Dollar is worth sh_t. WE have put more dollars into the world economy buying oil and other commodities without having enough goods and services that the rest of the world want to buy back from us. ON top of that, we have very low interest rates and nobody wants to invest in the U.S. right now. So that is one reason why European stuff costs a lot right now.

As for binocs, the first good pair of binocs I ever purchased were the Leica BN. The were great, but heavy. So I switched them out for Leica Ultravid. Light, but I couldn't see any difference in quality. I then looked through a pair of Zeiss Victory FLs and saw a difference (at least to my eyes) so I sold the ultravids and purchased the Zeiss and used them a couple of years. And then, one very early morning, on an elk hunt, when it was very low light, and very foggy, I was glassing with another fellow. He had Swarovski Els and I had the Zeiss Victory FLs. I said for the heck of it lets change binocs for a few minutes as I wanted to compare. It was a revelation. There was a tremendos difference between the Zeiss and the Swarovski, at least to my eyes. I sold the Zeiss with no regrets, and am now saving up for the Swarovskis.

The SLC`s use the same Glass ,and are ony 3 oz. heavier. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
I must've spent $20,000 on binoculars over that time, but I just couldn't force myself to by the Swarovski or Leica's for 2 grand.

I paid $830 for my pair of swarovski 10x42 slc's about seven years ago. Prior to that I had a cheap pair of bushnells that cost about $60. Not to try and be a smart ass, but all total I've spent less than $1000 in my life on binoculars and I've got a pair that I'm completely happy with and which will last me the rest of my life. You've spent $20,000 on binoculars and the best quality pair you have is nikon monarchs which do not compare in any way to my slc's. I know because a buddy at my deer camp and I swapped binos for an afternoon hunt, my swarovski's for his nikon's. He's now chunked the nikons and bought some slc's. $20,000 even now will buy you a pair of slc's with $18,500 left over. All that money thrown away on cheap optics seems like false economy to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The difference in quality is first how carefully the lenses are ground. Then there are the coatings .Coatings make a huge difference. Before they used coatings light transmission was poor .With the best lenses there are as many as 4 coatings improving light transmission to about 98 % !!
The rule is that the more you use optics the better they should be .I learned that years ago spending lots of time behind a microscope.
My older binoculars have long eye relief ,about 20 mm.They seem to be hard to find .For those with glasses what's the minimum eye relief that's ok with glasses ? 18mm, 15 mm ?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I don't have the best eye's by any means, but when comparing binos in well lit conditions, I just can't find a difference in many. That said, the best way I've been able to tell for myself which is indeed the best, is to take several pairs of the same mag range and try to read the letters on signs at a distance in low light. That simple country boy testing, sure seperates the best glass for me Smiler

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just can't convince myself that any binos are worth what the top of the line cost. I bought a pair of 10x42 Carson's with life time warranty and if they were any clearer I couldn't stand it. Also I can buy a load of asprins for a headache with $2,000. JMHO

sjadventures@cableone.net

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I have a chance to visit with the regional Nikon rep yesterday and look through a pair of EDG 10x42's. They are excellent as I expected. It is sure not the same as several hours in the field........

I doubt I will be dropping $2k on a pair....or anyone else's unless I win the lottery. I don't do enough multi-hour glassing to justify the expense.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with buying any optic be it binos or scopes is you are testing them out in the worst invyroment/application possible, a well lit store.

To truely determine whats best for you, one must evaluate optics under actual field conditions, perferable at last lite of the day at long distances trying to judge a trophy animal. Birding websites are one of if not the best sources of info for this.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
In my case, we were outside, but you are correct.........not field conditions.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote