Find
Notify
Tools

Let's play a game: $xxxx for Optics?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Ok, let's play a game. Let's say you are a new hunter and you've managed to save up some money to buy a Rem-Chester 30-06. It's your typical off-the rack supergun that shoots 1" at 100 yards with 180's and you want to use it for everything.

And then you realize...crap! I need to buy optics!

So here's the game: you need to buy binoculars and a scope for your rifle. four fixed budget points - what do you buy?

$300
$600
$1000
$2000

(*Let's make the assumption that the rifle came with 1" and 30mm rings - so you have your choice of scopes).

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
you need to buy binoculars and a scope for your rifle. four fixed budget points - what do you buy?

A used 4x Leupold off of Ebay for $150 (or less) shipped and a used pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLC's for maybe $500 to $600.

Spend the extra money on 30-06 ammo or a very basic reloading setup with some components and learn to shoot.

Get out in the field with your binos and birdwatch and look at girls to train your eyes to use binos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No mention of what you would be hunting. But hard to beat a Leupold 3-9X for general use.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a Leupold scope and use most of the money for binoculars. Quality really shows in binoculars.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you're just hunting spend the money on good binos - you'll look a hellofvalot more than you'll shoot

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I definetly would spend more then 2.000 $ for getting a Swarovski Z6i with high magnifition (more then 15x as those have HD lenses!) and Ballistic Turrent - no question anymore!

My personal choice here was the Z6i 2,5-15x44 BT SR , sitting on my Remington 700 Titanium in .270 Win - perfect setup!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a bit of a "Yorkshireman",o Schwabian Farmer if you prefer, so this is what I try to do / do:

For both binoculars and 'scope sights I would trawl the internet looking for deals on last year's models or two 'generations' back plus good quality second hand kit.

There are a number of good camera type shops here in the UK, Ace Cameras of Bath springs to mind. Here you can find good quality, older models of Swarovski, Leica & Zeiss binoculars.

Besides secondhand, keep a look out for ex-demo models.

I got a Leica 10x40 in excellent condition a few years ago, just after they brought out their newest model. Someone traded it in for the latest etc.

Now that Swarovski have brought out Gen II Z6 scopes, keep a look out for second hand, original Z6 scopes. Good quality / condition secondhand quality scopes should not be over looked.

In answer to the question, I would look for 8x32, 8x40,10x40 second hand binoculars from quality brands (Swarovski, Leica & Zeiss). The actual model would depend upon shooting conditions, weight etc.

For telescopic sights, I would look for second hand, quality brands again (Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles, Zeiss) in 6x42, 1.5-6x42, 3-9x42, 3-9x36, 3.5-?x44, 1.7-10x42, 2.5-15x44, 3.5-18x44 depending upon needs (light gatheing, range & weight).

I think you can find pretty good, fairly light weight and lighter weight scopes in the 3-9x36 & 3-9x42 range which would suit most aplications.

I recently picked upon a used, grade 1 (as new) 1.7-10x42 Swarovski for less than circa $1400. And I have seen 3-9x36 for $860 USD in the UK & $750 USD in the US / internet.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, in conclusion, I think I would get myself a shop demo or grade 1 used 3-9x36 Swarovski AV(13 oz, 3.54 ins eye relief for .30-06 class cartridges) or a Kalhes 3-9x42 (circa 15 oz, 3.74 ins eye relief) for around $850-850 USD.

The rest I would spend upon Swarovski 8x32 or Zeiss (Victory or conquest, not sure of the name?) 8x40 fairly lightweight binoculars.

Shooting regulations in both the UK and the US are different from continental Europe. So, the large lense night galsses are not applicable. I would prefer the spot and stalk / walking style to the high seat / observation style.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Nikon monarch or Zeiss conquest 3-9 , (think the monarch are now 2.5-10) $370-400

Leupold Yosemite 6x30 $85.00

If you're a plains game guy you'll probably want higher mag binos.

I'm at $485.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Geez Louise...

If I am a NEW hunter, with a stock-as-a-stove (old time street drag racing term) Remchester '06 I've got years of learning ahead of me...learning about both hunting and shooting.

I think I'd spend the vast majority of my money the first five or so years on inexpensive hunts and heaps of practice ammo...and maybe an inexpensive spotting scope I could use at both the rifle range and in the field. I might also buy a slow, cheap reloading outfit.

For a rifle scope, I'd probably buy a set of used Weaver or Redfield rings and mounts, a used Leupold 2-7X scope or MAYBE a new Redfield of the same power. (Both would have the same guarantee and be serviced by the same basic company if it came to needing that.)

For binoculars, I'd do some research before buying anything. Because binoculars really need to be perfectly collimated if you are going to use them much, I'd want to make sure that whether new or used, good quick service was easily availble in the U.S. for them.

Then I'd shop the used and/or discontinued sales.

I did just that for mine, and got a great set of Alpin 7x35 binos in a pawn shop for $120, and a new "demo" set of Zeiss 10x40s at a gun show some years later for under $600. My Nikon miniature pocket binos I got on close-out special at a big box store for $27.

For a new hunter, the Alpin binos I snagged would be good for everything until his shooting and hunting skills merited needing something more, for identifying/appraising both game and stalking approaches to that game.

At some time in the future he can look around again for better glass IF he wants to, then sell the stuff he has outgrown.

At the rate folks change the foci of their lives, there's always lots of good glass out there cheap, if the hunter looks for it the same way he should approach hunting...with patience.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only scope you'd ever need on an -06 is a Leupold FX3 6x42. Out to 600 is no problemo. Buy the best binocs you can afford.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I wanted the ultimate in optics I would buy a March scope. My Swarovski binos are fine. Low light to 200yards a 2.5X8 Leupold will suffice.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the way the question was couched was what would you buy at the four various budget limits, meaning four potentially different and increasingly costly choices.

At the $300 level I would definitely be shopping the used market. A decent used Leupold fixed, 2-7, or 3-9 would be under $200; and a serviceable pair of used binos can be had for under $100.

At the $600 level you can have your choice of pretty nice new equipment. A Leupold VX-II in the $250-300 range leaves you money enough for a number of very good binos. Minox might be the best bargain in the under-$300 range.

At the $1,000 level; well, I wouldn't even start to piss away that much money for a scope for a Remchester, much less $2,000. And in binoculars, the performance when you exceed around $400 quickly reaches the point of rapidly diminishing returns. If you're putting this much into an '06 hunting rifle, then buy a better rifle.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the best scope you can afford, lots of choices out there. Type of hunting, features and personal preferance will lead you to a good choice. Don't skimp on optics, good glass is worth the price. Elk hunting in Dark Timber is a good test. If you can't see em --you can't hit em.
Binoculars (Ditto on Quality) Buy only the best, save till you can afford them. If you are not a believer yet, go to a store like Cabelas and look through the Swaroski EL 8.5 X 42 on a rainy day in bad weather conditions. Or the new 8X50 Swarovision.
Unless you are glassing for sheep at long range,
this is all the glass you need. Compact vrsion would be the EL 8X32 Swaroski. Compare with Leica and Zeiss. Be sure to check warranties.
Unless you are a Bench Rest shooter Or a Professional Sniper, you will use the binos a lot more than you ever use the scope.
Just MHO

Good Hunting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, I kinda agree with tetonka. To me precision smaller binoculars make sense for bush hunting. The superior clarity of high-end scope brands is a quality that has largely escaped me in the shops but, since scopes are first of all a substitute for open and peep sights, this search for ultimate clarity is the last thing I consider. Reliability, field-blending and optimal eye-relief/field of view are why I prefer the Teutonic reticle-movement scopes when I can afford them.

In the cheaper lines, I'm quite impressed with a Leupold VX-1 I bought recently. It may have fine-thread focussing but you should only need to set it once. Their fast-focus models may look European but, in the case of the Redfield Revenge and Leupold VX-R at least, seem to add target-losing 'tunnel-vision', something the old Nickel and Zeiss scopes were very free of.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 2nd hand German or Austrian 6x42 scope, or given you are in the US top end 6x42 Leopold. And then the best 7 or 8x 42 bins by the same maker - on the bin, the older style bent tubes often are much better value that straight tubes. Also the 30mm objective lensed bins are significantly cheaper and you loose out at last light.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$300 - used Hensoldt
$600 - used Carl Zeiss Jena
$1000 - used Kahles or S&B
$2000 - don't need to spend that much

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a good used Leupold of your own choice.
I prefer the 2X7. Long non-critical eye relief and it is not the size of the hubble.

For binoculars try a set of used 7X35 - $25 to $50 bushnells and use them for 2 or 3 years until you understand how important they are - which is very. Maybe more important than your rifle in some terrain.

After you beat the cheapies up a while you will understand how much magnification you prefer and how big you can stand to carry around. I have had 4 sets of binoculars that I have tested at the same time at last and first light looking at whitetails at 400 yards plus. I eventually picked a set of 7X30 Leupolds with individual focus. These glasses are as bright as the larger 8X and are much more compact and easier to haul around your neck.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 for my 375 and for the money I think they are good glass.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
It maybe an old wives tale, but there used to be a rule of thumb that you spent at least half the cost of the rifle on the scope.

I have scopes on some rifles that cost 2x ++ the rifles purchase price and considered it money well spent.

For a common as muck Rem/Chester .30-06, just buy a common as muck Leupold 3-9x40.

Unless trophy hunting, if you know where the game is you won't need binos.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buck and a half each for scope and binos - $300 for the pair. They'll work fine, if not as good as pricier ones. And better than the 'top shelf' scope and glasses of 25 years ago that cost the same.

Use whatever you have left for ammo and gas to go hunting.

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go to EBAY and buy some 7x35 Zephyr weight made in Rochester,NY Bausch&Lomb binoculars for under $200. I'd buy a Leupold 3x-9x or maybe even a 4x-12x scope for $200-$250 and be good to go---equipped better than a lot of folks that spend a whole lot more.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I'd go to EBAY and buy some 7x35 Zephyr weight made in Rochester,NY Bausch&Lomb binoculars for under $200. I'd buy a Leupold 3x-9x or maybe even a 4x-12x scope for $200-$250 and be good to go---equipped better than a lot of folks that spend a whole lot more.

I like the 2nd hand Bausch&Lomb bino suggestion. Add a new Bushnell Legend HD to that and your good to go.. Awsome value for some great optics for roughly $300.00.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Save some money and still get a very good quality scope. 3x9 Zeiss Conquest. Bino's, take your choice for anything waterproof in a magnification you prefer, that your eyes tell you that you like what you see.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
if you're just hunting spend the money on good binos - you'll look a hellofvalot more than you'll shoot

+1

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote