New
Find
Notify
Tools

vari x II question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ive got 2 2x7 vari x IIs Both are the old ones not the vx2. One has what looks like a 28mm objective and one has a 32. Anyone know what year they changed them. If i remember right the smaller one is an older scope that i bought back in the late 70s. I dont remember when i got the other. The smaller one is the same lenght and doesnt say compact on it anywhere so im guessing its not a compact. Funny ive had both of these for years and never noticed they were differnt till today.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The smaller one may be a rimfire scope, but that should be noted on the objective

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nope doesnt say that and i know when i bought it way back it was there mainstream 2x7

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my vari x lll's were bought in the mid 80's. the vx lll's i bought in the mid to latter 90's, and the vx3 i bought last year. i do not know specific dates of change over.

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold made a compact 2x7 and 3x9. the compacts had 28mm obj. and the regulars had a 32 on the 2x7's, and 3x9's had a 36 or 40mm I think.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your smaller scope is the orginal Vari-X II. It has a 28mm objective lens.

Your larger scope is a Vari-X IIc with a 33mm objective lens. I'm not sure of the date of the changeover, but I think it was somewhere in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

Besides the difference in the size of the objective, Leupold made some changes in the internal design which gave the newer scope some bit more internal adjusment.

The older 28mm scopes have something of a special following because they will fit certain guns and mounts which will not accept the 33mm objective, so they sell for pretty good money when they come up on ebay. This scope was the first truly small (not to be confused with the Leupold Compact line, which is entirely different) variable which "looked right" on lightweight rifles and carbines.

The current Leupold VX-I is, for all intents and purposes, essentially the same as the Vari-X IIc.

Lots of people would like to see Leupold offer a "full sized" 2-7X Variable with a small objective like the old 28mm and a tube long enough to mount on full length actions without utilizing offset or extension rings. Such a scope would be useful for guns chambered for large calibers which are often used at close range, but which are capable of shots at longer ranges. Examples might be the .375 H&H, .375 RUM, or the .416 magnums.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So just get a 2.5 x 8 vx-lll. the difference in magnification is negligible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks thats the answer i was looking for. I knew when i bought it it was there standard varixII 33806whelen what your not taking into account is theres very few scopes that have the eye relief of a varx2 or a vx2 2x7 and im sure thats why big bore shooters like them. My 2x7s have substaintaily more eye relief then my 2.5x8 varix3 does. As a matter of fact this scope has sat on my 8mag for probably close to 30 years.
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Your smaller scope is the orginal Vari-X II. It has a 28mm objective lens.

Your larger scope is a Vari-X IIc with a 33mm objective lens. I'm not sure of the date of the changeover, but I think it was somewhere in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

Besides the difference in the size of the objective, Leupold made some changes in the internal design which gave the newer scope some bit more internal adjusment.

The older 28mm scopes have something of a special following because they will fit certain guns and mounts which will not accept the 33mm objective, so they sell for pretty good money when they come up on ebay. This scope was the first truly small (not to be confused with the Leupold Compact line, which is entirely different) variable which "looked right" on lightweight rifles and carbines.

The current Leupold VX-I is, for all intents and purposes, essentially the same as the Vari-X IIc.

Lots of people would like to see Leupold offer a "full sized" 2-7X Variable with a small objective like the old 28mm and a tube long enough to mount on full length actions without utilizing offset or extension rings. Such a scope would be useful for guns chambered for large calibers which are often used at close range, but which are capable of shots at longer ranges. Examples might be the .375 H&H, .375 RUM, or the .416 magnums.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes its a big difference. The 2x7 vxll has 3.8" while the 2.5x8 only has a meager 3.6, about 2/10 of an inch difference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have 4 2x7s and one 2.5x8 and the difference is more then the specs say.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 6 vari-x & vxlll's in 2.5x8 and 3 2x7's and I really don't see any issues with eye relief at all. I guess thats why there's so many options out there, everyone feels comfortable with something.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess to be honest cost is another thing. Ive got a bunch of rifles and just cant afford to put vx3s on all of them. Wish i could though.
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:
I have 6 vari-x & vxlll's in 2.5x8 and 3 2x7's and I really don't see any issues with eye relief at all. I guess thats why there's so many options out there, everyone feels comfortable with something.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Smale:
i have 4 2x7s and one 2.5x8 and the difference is more then the specs say.
Leupold is generally more dependable in its published specifications than other scope manufacturers, but I've found them all to have a significant degree of fantasy to them. I'm not sure why this is. It could sometimes be manufacturing changes that are not accounted for, but I think it is mostly because the specifications are posted by the advertising/sales people rather than the engineers/technicians. The marketing people typically know about as much about their product as they do Bush Beans or Campbells Soup -- they are hired to promote and sell, not to enlighten.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Weren't the leupold 2x7 25mm scopes for mussleloader? Or did they make them for rifle too? I had one on my inline at one time.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had wondered if I was the only one who did that. When I got a 340 Weatherby Mag I put a Leu Vari-X III 2.5 x 8 on it for those same reasons, the balance of low magnification for closer shots yet good enough to shoot at bigger targets at greater ranges. Also that I wanted more eye relief to avoid eye ringing (though I admit it's only a .338, not a big magnum).

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 2.5-8 is a great hunting scope for all of the reasons you mention. However, although I usually like a short tube, it is just a little too short for some of the longer actions. Also, its 36mm objective sometimes is too large to mount as low as desirable, particularly if it is on a very long bolt action and the bell is right over the fattest part of the chamber. That's why I say that a scope in this approximate magnification range with a slightly longer tube and an objective of around 30mm would be a winner for lots of applications.