Find
Notify
Tools

Burris Black Diamond vs Leupold VX III
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bushwackr
posted
I am either goin to buy a Burris Black diamond 30mm , In 8-32x50, or a Leupold VX III 8.5-25x50. I can get a way better deal on the burris. My Question is would I be losing quality by going with the burris, or is it just a good as the leupold. Can anyone tell me if the glass is comparble, or if you have had the pleasure (or displeasure) of either of these choices. I value everyones opinion, buying a several hundred dollar scope Is a big buy for me, please be brutally honest. Thank You very much

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
- Ted Nugent -

Posts: 55 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have too much use for either scope as I have never seen real life conditions in which that much power could be used due to mirage or other limitations, and I don't use scopes with objectives as large as 50mm, so I'll take no position as to between the two which might be the better optical gunsight.

Those issues aside, judge the scopes on economics alone. If you should decide that you don't care for the scope for some reason, or decide to sell the gun for which it was purchased, or have any other reason to need to resell the scope, which of the two will have cost you the least money after all is said and done? I suspect that, despite the lower initial cost of the Burris, the much stronger resale value of the Leupold will make it the less expensive scope.

Regardless of what people think of the scopes themselves, it seems as if virtually everyone here on AR agrees that if you should have any technical problem arise, the Leupold customer service is significantly superior to that of Burris.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you should be able to save some money and get a more practical scope by getting one in a smaller size. I think they are probably easier to resell than 50mms also.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Leupold, first, last and always.....if your Burris develops a defect and you have to send it back, don't plan on hunting for a long time....not so with Leupold....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to comment on this one. I have always owned leupold. Decided to try a Burris, exact same model you're talking abt. Hated it from the moment it arrived. Sold it, got Leupold 8.5-25x50. Love it like all my other Leups. Buddy just bought the same Burris, after looking thru my Leup, he's selling it. Mark

Posts: 33 | Location: SW AZ | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Burris products but admit the black diamond line has too little adjustment range. I still prefer them to a leupy though.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend bought a Black Diamond three years ago. It was impossible to get the reticle to focus. I sent it to Burris, and they returned it stating that it was OK. That would never happen with Leupold!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time Burris had a good reputation. But not for a long time. Buy the leupold scope.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
The 8.5-20 would make a good varmint/target scope, and of the two, I would choose the leupold. The VXIII would be the line to go with. Burris doesn't seem to be as bright in the low light as the leupold. And as you will hear often, Leupold tends to have the best customer service of all the mfgs.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote