New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clicks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My scope has 1/2" clicks so if I am 6" high @250 I should come down 5 clicks to zero at 250? Correct? Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1/2" clicks = 2 clicks for 1" at 100 yards so the calculation is at 250 yards is 2/2.5 or .8 clicks per inch or 4.8 for 6 inches so..... 5 is about right (man that was the long way around the horn)

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always get confused when it isn't in 100 yd increments. Come to think of it. I am pretty much confused all the time. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that the clicks are 1/2 MOA? This is unusually coarse. Most clicks are spaced at 1/4 MOA.

Some friction lock Leupolds are graduated in 1/2 MOA, but can be adjusted in infinately smaller amounts due to the lack of pre-determined detents.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New IOR scope specs say 1/2" I haven't measured them closely but I shot it for the first time on Sat and they were pretty close. I don't have a bore sighter I look down the barrel and then thru the scope, line stuff up and shoot @50 yds I was 3' low and 3' right at the first shot moved 3clicks windage and 3 clicks elevation. Pretty much on target I will check them closer whe I have more time this Sat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always suggest measuring with any scope no matter the brand or what it says on the turrets for long range use as that’s the only way to be sure. But for this scope I feel it’s even more important as mine measures .45†@ 100 yds per click (1/8 Mil) so it wouldn’t surprise me if yours is the same. It might be hard to notice the difference at close range but if you dial up for long shots it adds up. It’s no problem though, as long as you know what they are.

You must have gotten the scope used as the new models adjust 1/10 Mil per click which greatly simplifies everything.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still can't do the moa-mil math. I bought it new but it was priced as a demo. You have the same scope I assume. I will try to get a good read on them as you say at longer ranges it will make a difference. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 MOA = ~.29 Mil (.2908333...)

quote:
line stuff up and shoot @50 yds I was 3' low and 3' right at the first shot moved 3clicks windage and 3 clicks elevation. Pretty much on target I will check them closer whe I have more time this Sat.

Assuming you meant inches(") and not feet('), 3" with 3 clicks at 50 yards would mean 6" with 3 clicks at 100 yards. 2" per click at 100 doesn't seem right for that scope, but maybe I misunderstood something.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kuna, ID | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to run and check the target and note it was 12 clicks up and 12 clicks over @ 50. I was 3' low and 3" right. That would be 1/4 pe rclick @ 50 and 1/2 @100. I always save my targets and write my notes on them because memory is fading. It is a tactical scope according to IOR and not a hunting scope I think their hunting scopes are 1/4" per click

One of Us
posted Hide Post
12 clicks makes more sense. Their website claims 1/2 MOA adjustments so 12 clicks would be ~3" at 50 yards.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kuna, ID | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess what I will do this weekend is get it where I want it for zero and then move it 15-20 clicks in each direact(box) and see where I am for exact click measurement

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's an easy and accurate way you can do it from your kitchen table in your undies. Wink

With the scope and/or rifle solidly pointed out the window at something (of course a vice is better but sandbags/bipod with another set of hands helping steady it is good enough), aim the very bottom elevation hash mark (10 Mils below the dot in the center) at something specific.

Now, crank the elevation knob until the center dot is pointed at the same thing. Look and see how many clicks have gone by. Repeat as many times as you need to in order to be confident nothing is moving and you're getting the same answer each time.

If 80 clicks (or 40 "MOA" on the turret) have gone by you have 1/8 Mil clicks or .45" clicks.

If 68 or 69 clicks have gone by, you have correct 1/2 MOA clicks.

If 72 clicks have gone by you have 1/2" clicks (sometimes called "Shooter's MOA").

If you don't have any of those numbers, your clicks are somewhere in between and have their own "unique" value (more scopes than you'd imagine fall into this category). It doesn't really matter what they are, as long as you know what they are.

Naturally this assumes your reticle is properly calibrated which I would guess it is as every IOR I've seen has been. This too should be checked, however. This is most easily done next time at the range by placing a yardstick at 100 yds and verifying the reticle shows it to be exactly 10 Mils long. Quite easy.

Have fun with the scope.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW I wish my math teacher made it that simple. I am sitting here thinking "Why didn't I figure that out?" Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon,
Only one issue with your problem solver is that if I sit at my kitchen window in my undies with my 470 Capstick pointed out the window somone is going to call the cops and then i will never know what my clicks are rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a 470 Capstick You only have to get close though,right?

one of us
posted Hide Post
MOA is in the caliber

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon It is 72 clicks Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem. 1/2" per hundred yard clicks, that should be easy to use. And now you know for sure. Wink