Find
Notify
Tools

Männlicher Schönauer 1961 Mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 1961 MCA with an old
Williams Side Mount. The side mount attaches with four screws. I assume Blue Locktite would be proper for these screws. I'm looking at an EAW side mount at New England Custom Gun. Does anyone have e experience with this mount? Does it return to zero after removal? I'd like to know before spending $500 for a mount. I know there are other systems but don't want to drill and tap the receiver.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun is probably tapped for the Redfield style mounts that are discontinued. I believe Watts Walnut makes a copy for $165. You would have to remove the existing mount and put plug screws in the holes. If this is one of Bieb's rifles it is tapped to accommodate this mount system.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dod buy it from Biebs.
Thanks for the tip.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at Watt's web site it looks like the side mount attaches like the Williams side mount and the front mount attaches to the front ring the action. My rifle does have two screws in the front ring of the action. Is this the type of mount that the other MS in .308 had?

Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just looked at the photos in Biebs' post.
The .308 had a Leopold Mount.
I'll check with Watts tomorrow.
Thanks

Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold mount on Bieb's rifle required extra holes be drilled in the side of the receiver to be mounted. The tip off type and lever removable mounts like Griffin & Howe also required additional holes be drilled in the side of the receiver. A gun factory drilled and tapped will have two holes on top of the front receiver ring and two holes in the angled rear receiver ring. The Watts mount uses the original rear two holes plus the front two holes on the front ring. You will receive two extra screws from Watts. Some of the MS guns were drilled for a metric screw in the rear bridge so if you go this way make sure the correct screws are used. It is rare but I had it happen once.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have talked to Robert Watts, and ordered one of his mounts. This option seems the most practical and reasonable costwise. I like the option of the EAW side mount but the removability is not worth $500 to me. Without regard to the somewhat clunky appearance of the EAW. I really appreciate your input. Tne Watts mount did not show up in my internet search, thank you for the referral.
Best regards

Mark Twain