New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Simmons scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the November 2005 Rifle magazine, John Barsness has a write-up on the new Simmons scopes.

Claims Simmons (Meade) has really reinvented the rifle scope. Claims great adjustment repeatability and recoil tolerance. Barsness tested the scope on a lightweight 338 Win Mag.

Suggested retail is $149.

Anyone have personal experience with these new Simmons ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a pretty big writeup in the new Graf's catalog too. I have a couple gift certificates, so I may give one a chance (on my new, used .338 win mag). If it stands up on that one, I'd be impressed. The new Cabela's store opens Saturday here in MN. I'll see if they have any.

Ryan

There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, others to whom it is a weapon, neither is balanced.
One is less unwise

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the boys on rimfirecentral.com , who keep pretty close track of lower priced scopes that might prove to be good buys; the new line of Simmons are having quite a few teething problems. It seems the new plant in RED China is not delivering the quality needed , so release of the new models has been delayed again and again.......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compare the new Simmons illuminated reticule to the Burris illuminated reticule:
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/simmons/simmdes/aetec.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200168/burris_3-9x4...d_ii_rifle_scope.htm

I did, and I just ordered the Burris.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I am sorry I did.

There are three settings:
1) too bright
2) brighter
3) off, but batteries go dead anyway

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Burris quality and customer service has seriously slid downhill since they were purchased by the Beretta Holding Group a couple years ago.

Send it back for a refund or trade while you still can.

For illuminated scopes there are many choices and another bad choice is the Leupold. Their warranty for the illuminated part is only ONE YEAR!!!

A good choice are the Bushnell Elite 4200 scopes with lifetime warranty on ALL parts and they're quite a lot of scope for the money. Also don't overlook the Bushnell Firefly reticle. IMO it's the best of all worlds for lowlight hunting and I have several of them and have used them a good bit.

If you're willing to get off your wallet the Zeiss and Schmidt and Bender stuff is excellent too albeit a bit pricy.

A good deal can be had on one in the Classified ads if it's still available. Bruz is selling a used Simmons Aetec with illumintated reticle. I was the original owner and it's had almost NO use. Lifetime warranty too.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lAst year Leupold replaced the circut board on my 3.5x10x50 at no cost & it was 3 or more years old..my booklet has no meantion of a limited warrenty..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
OH... I got it from their website... Don't know if I can find it anymore.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
OK... Looks like I was wrong... Their warranty is quite simple to understand... Here it is... This part only applies to Gold Ring products.

"If any Leupold Golden Ring product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is needed. No time limit applies."

Pretty straightforward.

$bob$

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
OK... Just called Leupold technical support and talked to Jason because on the actual page where one of the illuminated reticle scopes is listed it mentioned "Leupold electronics limited warranty".

So you can actually check if you want to do it yourself it's on the VX-3 3.5-10x50 illuminated reticle model. I don't know of any way to direct link on their website.

The number I called was 1-503-526-1400 and I went to technical support because that's where an operator routed me.

Jason told me that on the Gold Ring products that the electronics warranty is two years and that includes illuminated reticles.

So I was close to right. Razzer

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Last May of 2006, I sent in a pair of Simmons Scopes that had gone bad...they were to be replaced... So I was sold on the new Master Series.. and picked two with a side focus that was to be available in June... June came and then they would be available in August.. August came and they would be available at the end of Sept.. that came and they would be available at the end of Nov, that came and then they would be available after Jan 1... that came and they would be available FEb 1.. that Came and then they would be available in Mid March now...

Well between getting jerked off all this time.. and having people make promises that never materialize, speaking with people who are supposed to check on something and call me back.. yet my phone never rings...

Personally, I have had it with Simmons products.. I was on the phone with several different supervisors today... and never got calls back, in the hour or so that they promised... got the royal runaround by several customer service reps when I called back in...

After a bunch of BS since last May.. I told them that I wanted the two scopes replaced with Weavers... those have held up for me, and are at least in current production.. and in stock.. not on some slow boat from China, made in a factory that is evidently running under the communist way of management...

So this evening, I had it promised that I would be shipped a Weaver V 16 and a Weaver V 24 tomorrow morning... we will see when they get here...

Meade's customer service sucks.. and it is funny how they advertise on their site at it being the best in the business...

Their response to me waiting 9 to 10 months for replacement scopes is that they have customers who have been waiting longer and not complaining! I told them, I bet they also have customers who have been waiting less time and have been complaining a lot more also...

All of this constant what is the best scope?? all I can say, when one factors in Customer service to boot... Leupold is darn hard to beat by ANYONE!!!!

And Simmons is trying to 'out Trash' Tasco's old poor reputation.....

For me, its Leupold, Bushnell( B & L), and Nikon for most of my needs.. I haven't tried them, but I have heard Sightron deserves honorable mention...

Simmons are worth crap, based on their backing it up!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I guess they did better than they promiced.. I sent them my 3.5x10x50ill the week after deer season was over and 3 weeks later I got it back with a letter saying they had changed a circut board..I am a buyer of used Leupold scopes & they have always repaired anything I sent them at no cost.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at their online catalog & it does say "limited electronics warrenty".. My scope has a 1" tube which is not in their current catalog so they may have changed their warrenty or I was just lucky.. This is the scope on my big field rifle & really works well once you get the hang of what light level to use. I have tried Burris & Nikon ill cross hairs & did not like them. I guess if this scope dies, I'll go European if they have a 1" tube.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted 09 October 2005 00:07
In the November 2005 Rifle magazine, John Barsness has a write-up on the new Simmons scopes.

Claims Simmons (Meade) has really reinvented the rifle scope. Claims great adjustment repeatability and recoil tolerance. Barsness tested the scope on a lightweight 338 Win Mag.

Suggested retail is $149.

Anyone have personal experience with these new Simmons ?

Hammer.

Yes ;I have purchased as well as used Simmons for just about everything from paper punching too vermin shooting . Seem to hold up well no problems with any of them as of yet . I have a forum in inexpensive optics going as to who's scope is better for the money !. Out of 5 brands of inexpensive scopes ( Under $ 200.00 ) Simmons seems to be a real choice !. thumb

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I quit waiting for the promised new Simmons Master Series scopes to show up from China...I have waited for 10 months now...

Well, a lot of recent bitching and going to management at Meade... I received two Weavers as replacements today...

A V 16 with a target dot reticle...
and a V 24 with a Target dot reticle also...

It was a lot of waiting and getting Jerked around... but at least you have to compliment Meade on making good on it finally...

The V series Weavers have been around for a long time and I am happy with them after owning several more...and also their V 9 and K 4 and K6 scopes...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to doubt if there will ever be any new Simmons scopes. They've been assimilated by Meade and that may just be the end of it.

I wonder if they'll start charging $25 or more to do warranty service like the old Tasco people did and farm it out.

I've sold all of mine but one Aetec and am now glad but I must admit they were a hell of a lot of scope for the money.

$bob$