New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meopta R2, 1-6x24
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone use a the Meopta R2, 1-6x24mm ? Thoughts / opinions on this scope ?
I have one with the 4C reticle, and presently contemplating putting it on a 375 Ruger.

I have compared it with Zeiss, Kahles, Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4x24's, and Swarovski 1-6x24.
To me, optically this scope is in the same class of the above scopes. And appears that it would be a rugged scope.

I have been using a Kahles 1.1-4x24mm Helia C, without complaint. But, my wife also uses this scope on all of her rifles. She has a new rifle, And the last Kahles 1.1-4 is the one on my 375 Ruger.

Teetering on putting this Meopta on my rifle. Interested to see other opinions of this scope.

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the Meopta but I like small variables.

My problem with these modern scopes is the huge zoom multiples. When I was young most all variables only had 3x multiples and it was thought miraculous that Zeiss/Hensoldt and Nickel were able to make a 1.5-to-6x, which needed a 4x range.

I don't know what the problem was but it must involve some compromise. I suspect the erector lenses have to be scrolled farther out in the tubes, adding to the recoil inertia at the turrets when used at the higher powers.

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my eyes, in dimmer light 4 to 5 power is most useful magnification with a 24mm objective.
I wish that all the scope manufacturers offered more "hunter friendly" reticles.
It appears that they expect you to use illumination. I can see an advantage to having the option of illumination. But, I do not care to have to rely on it in circumstances that a bolder reticle would make it unnecessary.

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I must concur, Idmay375, with your comments on illumination. There's really little need for it in most American and Australian situations and it's a vale of tears when you become addicted but it then packs up. Also, while it is hard to draw lines in the sand when it comes to hunting ethics, electronics in hunting sights might be a fair place to start - before all scopes come so equipped.

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote