Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi there,
Has anybody used Redhead brand binoculars in a 10X50. I don't know if it is me or the glass. I seem to see a double vision out of them. Then atfer a while they are as clear as a bell. Is it width adjustment(eyes) or what? Opinions please. They seem to be good optics. I have 20/13 vision. I was thinking that it may be my eyes adjusting to them. Once things clear up they are fine for the rest of the day.

Tony

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your binos are out of collimation, which means that the two lens systems don't point in the same place. Your brain can adjust this out after a short time if it's not too severe, but it tends to cause eyestrain and/or headache after prolonged viewing.

Any good bino servicer should be able to correct this on any quality instrument; it's a common problem.

Posts: 82 | Location: SW FL | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any good bino servicer should be able to correct this on any quality instrument; it's a common problem.

FLBill,

I agree completely with your diagnosis. Poor collimation is far too common in even the more expensive examples of binoculars. But I've found practically no one who understands, much less is able to correct collimation problems. Who would you recommend?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote