Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss focus group
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
I went to a Zeiss Optical focus group last weekend (yes, they have them for optics too!). It was very interesting, and I have been thinking about some additional feedback to send them.

I have come up with some things to tell them in addition to what I said during the focus group, and I thought some here would like to get in on this.

If you decided not to buy a Zeiss product, what was it (scope, binocular, spotter) and why not?

If you bought the Zeiss product, again what product was it and why did you decide to buy?

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A "focus group" for an optical product certainly brings a new meaning to the term. cheers

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
With the introduction of the Conquest, Zeiss has really helped themselves, IMO.
Zeiss raised the bar with the advent of this scope.
It's a "working man's" Euro. Smiler

Fast focus eyepiece
4" fixed eye relief
Great glass, for the money

But, the plastic turrets and caps have got to go !!
It really undermines (from a visual aspect) an otherwise awesome scope.
I know, most hunters "set it and forget it" after intial sight in and don't click a lot any how. Big Grin

The above is not a slam on the Conquest, I love them, but changing over to metal turrets and caps would be cool.

Zeiss has great CS. They promply replaced a scope for me, and it was actually a plesent experience.
The lady working the CS dept sounded hot too. beer

However, if given the option between a S&B Zenith and a Zeiss Diavari, I would go with the S&B.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I was considering a Conquest for my last two scope purchases but when I asked questions about them on a couple different forums multiple people had stories of their conquests taking a dump on them so I went with Leupold.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that the Conquest were so prone to breaking.
First I've heard of it.

Mine did give up the ghost, but Zeiss cheerfully replaced it and I've had no problems since. Actually, I sold the rifle and Conquest that was on it in yet another my various "deals", but I wouldn't hesistate to buy another.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell them that I've chosen several Swarovski's over the comparable Zeiss scopes because I really like the TDS reticle and there isn't a comparable one available in the Zeiss hunting scopes.
I also don't like the "tunnel" veiw of some of the higher powered scopes i.e. the black ring that gets bigger around the veiwable image when you zoom.
I like the idea of the "M" series scopes but have only ever seen 1 "M" scope for sale in the US, and probably good luck finding the bases for it.

The next pair of binoculars I'm probably going to buy are 8x32 FL's. I think they are awesome.
Both of the 10x42 FL's I looked at were defective and wouldn't properly focus! They have some problems they need to fix with the 10x42's to say the least...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I would ask them to offer some kind of long range reticle like the Ballistic Plex, or B&C.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own 3 Zeiss Conquests. Have a 4.5-14x44 on a 25-06 and a 3-9x40 on a 7mmx300 Weatherby that have never gave me a bit of problem. Last week I purchased another 3-9x40 and mounted it on my Remington 375 Ultra mag. Bought it since I liked the other two and gives nice eye relief for the Ultra mag recoil. Shot the rifle 25 rounds and the scope with stood the recoil very well. Between the 3 Conquests that I own I have in the neighborhood around 500 rounds combined through the rifles and have not had a bit of problem with any. For the price they are a fantastic scope.
Scott

Posts: 978 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thanks for the great comments...jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Where are the new Conquests??????

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing you might mention...

Maybe I'm not looking in the correct place but in the specs. there's no mention of the tube length...in other words how far apart the rings could be. Leupold's site has these measurements under the specs. for all of their scopes.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
I was considering a Conquest for my last two scope purchases but when I asked questions about them on a couple different forums multiple people had stories of their conquests taking a dump on them so I went with Leupold.

You probably should have looked on another forum and learned the truth about these fine scopes. I'm sure you bought a good scope, But the Conquest is about as tough as they get.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a nib 3x9 conquest in the classifieds

Posts: 305 | Location: on the praire and liken it | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote