Find
Notify
Tools

Steiner Merlin
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted
I just got home from a family Christmas Eve get together. I was given a pair of Steiner Merlin 10x42 binoculars. Do any of you optic buffs know much about them or Steiners in general? Any info is appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pr of the Steiner 9x40 Bighorns and they are great glass for the $$ spent. I paid 225.00 for them about 4 yrs ago but remember seeing them in the outdoor catalogs 20 yrs ago priced at 450.00, so why they are less $$ now baffles me. They are still made in Germany.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our military spends millions $$ on Steiners. They are great, and like a lot of manuf. have a wide range of models, but I believe all are a lot of glass for the $$. Not particularly familiar with the Merlins.

Steve

Posts: 49 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used them in the field but have looked though them and they are nice binoculars.... my Christmas Eve was very pleasant but not nearly as materially rewarding as yours.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I've used a pair of Steiner Marine 7x50's for about 6 years now and they are absolutely great. I will only buy binoculars with individual eye focus and these are wonderful.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I played with them a little today. Seem like decent glasses.