New
Find
Notify
Tools

VX6 Ejection Problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone else experienced problems ejecting fired cases from rifles scoped with Leupold VX6 scopes. My rifle is a custom built on a pre 64 model 70 with Talley mounts. I tried both low and medium rings but still had cases hit the windage cap and stay in the gun. My only solution was to rotate the scope so windage adjustment is on the left. That works like a charm but I guess it toasts the CDS feature.
Those adjustment caps are pretty big.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Whether or not turning the scope over can be compatible with the CDS system, I think it could cause problems because the erector system is expected to dip down under heavy recoil, not to what would then be the side.

With the old B&L 'Custom' scopes, turning them over would be no problem at all, but I would be reluctant to try it with modern image-movement scopes or even the old reticle-movement ones.

As a piece of trivia, almost all of my old reticle-movement Nickel Supra scopes were made with the windage on the left side, probably to aid quick loading of dangerous-game rifles.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle is a 270 so I doubt recoil will affect it. I will call Leupold to ask that question.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two VX6's that sit on two different 7mags, and have no ejection problems with either one of them. One rifle is a Tikka 695, the other a Hill Country Rifles harvester. I highly doubt yours is a scope problem, as a few Sako 85's have had ejection problems too.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
The ejection problem is not with the VX-6 - I've mounted them on two custom built B&M large bores (Mdl 70 WSM actions) without issue.

My guess is your rifle is ejecting the empty cases too high rather than more towards the side of the receiver. Might require a look from a gunsmith to properly diagnose and fix the problem. New ejector?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote