Find
Notify
Tools

Burris vs. Sightron (Fixed scopes)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted
I have narrowed down my search for a fixed power scope between the 4x20 Burris Timberline (Shortmag) and the 4x32 Sightron SII. They both fit the bill of 4+ inches of eye relief and sub $200 purchase price. Any major differences between the two? I know that theoretically the Sighron will be brighter because of the larger exit pupil, but any reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks,

Jesse

Posts: 171 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you take a measurement of your ring spacing as both of these scopes have SHORT tubes!
Burris 4x20=4.7"
Sightron ll 4x32=4.4"
Remember to allow at least 1/16" space between scope ring and scope bell at each end!
What kind of rifle are you gonna be mounting your scope on?

til later

One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted Hide Post
It is going to go on a Ruger #1 in .405 Winchester. Hence the long eye relief, and the short tubes (which I want).

Posts: 171 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got your bases covered. Just thought I'd give you a heads up as I'm working with someone on another forum who didn't check the ring spacing on their Savage Model 11. They bought the Sightron ll 4x Compact and both rings butt up against the scope bells. No clearance at all.
By the way they mounted the scope in lightly tightened rings just to get a feel for it and says target acquisition is easy and eye relief measured right at 4.75".

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i prefer the sightron, to my eyes the glass is better, plus burris warranty stinks

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote