New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need opinion on a low power scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a fairly inexpensive low power scope to put on my ,22 rimfire but need to sit it on my 22/250 first to verify that my 3.5-10 Leupold Vari-X 3 is OK or not. When we leveled the rifle and then the scope, the crosshairs were extremely canted. I just straightened the scope back up. The Tikka 585 is shooting 2 inch groups at 100yds. Bad. I had cleaned it up real good and let a gun nut friend with good eyes look down the bore and he said it was in good shape.

In the Natches flyer I ran across an NRA Sports Optics 1.5-6x40 on sale for $79.95; reg $129.95.
Has anyone heard of these or have experience with one. I want a low power for my .22 and need to know if I need to send the Leupold back or rebarrel the Tikka.

The rig was given to me and the scope has a bad scratch on the ocular objective and some marks showing that it has been mounted and remounted more than once. Any advice is appreciated. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The NRA scopes are made by Brunton. I don't know anybody that has used one. The company makes some fairly nice optics, but I imagine these are contracted out to China. Don't really know of a good low power, low price scope. Might look at the Leupold 2-7 VX-1.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In that price range go to samplelist.com and get a used Nikon Prostaff. It will be better than just about anything you can buy new for that price.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
In that price range go to samplelist.com and get a used Nikon Prostaff. It will be better than just about anything you can buy new for that price.

LWD

Plus one on SWFA's Sample List.

I'm not a big fan of the Pro Staff on center fire rifles but for the money, you could do worse. Good call LWD.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, the Prostaff make work for my purposes. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not a big fan of the Pro Staff on center fire rifles but for the money, you could do worse. Good call LWD.

Thanks, Cheaptrick. Mine was on my .17HMR and is now on my .22LR, so I guess I agree with you.

Merganser, if you can go up a bit in price look at the used Monarchs. Those are some really good scopes for the money. Money that you probably won't regret having spent.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 1 of these with ring marks but appears to work, took off a 223 but I did not try before removal..$50.00 shipped.. Has a lifetime warrenty

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=746570&t=11082005

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote