THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Reciever scope vs barrel scope mount for takedown rifles...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reciever scope vs barrel scope mount for takedown rifles...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a takedown BLR as well a Winchester Grand European in .270 o/u. Just wondering where others would choose to mount a scope, and why? Thanks, I'm getting a bit "long in the eye" for iron sights.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle! Haven't seen one of those since about 1990. Almost bought one at the Scottsdale gun show then.

Anyway, to your question. If i cxold find such a scope my own preference would be to get one with enough eye relief that I could mount it so the edge of the ocular lens housing nearest the shooter's eye is directly above where the rear of the chamber meets the standing breech.

That way there is plenty of eye relief, and the scope doesn't get in the way of unoading/reloading. And it "looks" nice, not odd like a "scout" mounting.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't go Scout, they are ugly and stupid (IMHO).
Find a mount that attaches to the barrel but is extended back to use a regular scope.
Receiver mounted scopes on takedown rifles can never be counted on to maintain POI. There are many scopes that have 4" of eye relief that can be aligned as AC suggested. The Leupold 1-4 comes to mind. Any of the Leupold Alaskans (if you can find one) would also make a nice slim rig rather than looking like a luggage handle.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote