Find
Notify
Tools

Good Binos??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
OK I'm just looking for some opinions, I need to get a new pair of Binoculars & want a good pair that will last with quality glass.
Problem is they seem to be very cheap or very expensive, with not much in the middle.
I really like the Lecia’s but just can not seem to bring myself to drop that kind of money. So any one have any recommendations on a good under $1000 pair of binos?
Or do I just bite the bullet & buy a pair of Lecia’s?

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good binos by Leupold, Burris and Brunton (to name a few) that are good quality at reasonable price levels.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Minox....I have a pair and they're awesome. Doug posts on here and he's great to deal with. They're at that "in-between" price and very comparable to the high end glass....and I also have Swaro's.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Yes MINOX are a good option with sharp optics made in Germany.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdeshazo:
I really like the Lecia’s but just can not seem to bring myself to drop that kind of money. So any one have any recommendations on a good under $1000 pair of binos?

There are just tons of good optics available under 1k$. But making a specific recommendation really depends on what binoc specs (magnification, objective size, weight etc) you are looking for.

Just off the top of my hat, I'd look at www.cameralandny.com. Doug from that store posts here (username "gr8fuldoug" - if memory serves), and they have a TON of great offers. Typically, their offers include optics used for show purposes, which to all intent and purposes are new. I would buy from Doug without hesitation.

Here are a couple of examples of what they have on offer:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40261

http://www.cameralandny.com/op...age=swarovski8x30slc

http://www.cameralandny.com/op...zeiss.pl?page=523220

Assuming these binocs fit the specs you are looking for, any of these should have optics of a quality to serve you for a lifetime.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second Burris. I really like my pair. Also look at Pentax. For the money they are hard to beat.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Check out Minox....I have a pair and they're awesome. Doug posts on here and he's great to deal with. They're at that "in-between" price and very comparable to the high end glass....and I also have Swaro's.

I bought a pair of Minox 10X42 for my 14yr old son this elk season. I use Kahles for myself. Frankly, the Minox seemed every bit as clear and bright as my Kahles----and better priced.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
in price/quality DOCTER is hard to beat.
Just bought a 7x40, you can`t get more for the money.
Ok, Leica, Zeiss or Swaro are another league.

http://www.orniwelt.de/Fernglaeser/Docter

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Designed in Germany, made in Japan

One of Us
Picture of Acrnstlkr
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of meoptas very clear and just under 1k, for 10-42. they have some in cabelas identical there called cabelas euros.

Freedom is not Free! So thank your Military!

Posts: 41 | Location: Chester IA. | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDF51:
quote:

That must be new?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

That would be my recomendation and there is the option of "second hand" sold by gr8fuldoug of cameraland.

posted Hide Post
Vortex Razors...

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try DEUTSCHE OPTIK they have a lot of stuff,once you use a really good glass you will be glad you did spend the money. but you need to really learn about what you are buying, i preferr individual focus, just set them and when you pick them up they are focused, this is especially important in real low light but they will not focus closer than 60 to 80 feet so if you are a birdwatcher you might want centerfocus to look at something small 30 feet away. i own fuji, stiener,swarovski, east german zeiss aus jena,and some others, there is a big difference.you should learn the terminology, like porro prizm, roof prizm, exit pupil size, individual or center focus, coatings ect. find out all you can and then go for .

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 399 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can get the Leicas for less than $1,000.00 from Cameraland’s used ones go for it.
If not the Nikon LX-L are just about as good as the Leicas. I have the older Nikon LX and they are very good. I bought a factory refurbished model and am very happy.
You can get a refurbished Nikon LX-L for less than $750.00

Also take a look at the Leupold Golden Ring 8X42, you can get them new on ebay for less than $700.00, see this review:

http://www.betterviewdesired.c...Golden-Ring-8x42.php

And while you are at it take a look in the site for other reviews that may interest you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Minox 9.5x42 (IF) for the last two seasons and am pleased with the instrument. It is one of the few that is priced between the bargain basement Asian models and the Caviar-and-Champaign European models.

On the inexpensive end, I looked at a friend's Leupold Yosemites (under $100, from China of course) and was impressed with their excellent collumation and optical resolution. Now, if they would only make them in IF.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minox, Meopta, Nikon LX, Kahles, Pentax DCF.
Lots of choices.
If you're spending 750, might as well spend a grand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Either show binos in the box, new for warranty purposes, or second hand from Cameraland.

I got a pair of 8x30BN Liecas in the box with paperwork and new warranty that were show demos and perfect for less than $1k. Also a pair of 8x20's too. Condition on both was perfect, no problems no hassles.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have just picked up a pair of Kowa binos .
By far the best I have ever had at 450 bucks .
These are the BK42s.Kowa makes the finest in spotting scopes in the world today IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDF51:
quote:

arent nightforce made in japan? eitherway stuff made in japan is high quality.

I have a pair of Minox myself. awesome glass!

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I humbly suggest the Swarovski Habicht 8 X 30 W porro prism binocular. The problem is finding them. They may still sell them in Ireland however:

http://www.connscameras.com/fl...ryIDEQL38_entry.html

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I humbly suggest the Swarovski Habicht 8 X 30 W porro prism binocular. The problem is finding them. They may still sell them in Ireland however:

http://www.connscameras.com/fl...ryIDEQL38_entry.html

No Problem: they are available brandnew from Swarovski: have a look at my shop at www.titanium-gunworks.de

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Klaus, that's good to know.

There are also used Zeiss models which I think are potentially good deals:

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI....em&item=200303096650

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Following up on Anukpuk's suggestion, these Leicas look very nice indeed:

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/c...h=11&products_id=474

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK I'm just looking for some opinions, I need to get a new pair of Binoculars & want a good pair that will last with quality glass.
Problem is they seem to be very cheap or very expensive, with not much in the middle.

Check out the Pentax DCF ED. Absolutey awesome.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear sdeshazo:

I looked at them all about 11 years ago. Steiner, Swarozski, Nikon, etc.

Then I looked through a pair of 10x42 Trinovid Leica's, and I was hooked.

Let me give you an example.

While in Rocky Mountain National Park, during the summer of 1998, I was taking a guided park ranger tour with some other tourists at 12,000 feet, and looking across a ravine at some sheep on another mountain.

A lady taking the tour and using Nikon or Minolta binoculars (can't remember) saw about six sheep, other people with Bushnell's, etc. saw about the same amount. I could see 32 sheep.

No one believed me, until they looked through my Leica's.

Save your money, and get 'em!

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the Leica camp. I have owned all the high end binos. If you shop around you may find some 8 X 32 Ultravids (used) for under $1K.
IMO they offer the greatest resolution and the greatest ability to differentiate gray scales at dawn and dusk whem the available light no longer allows you to see color. That is when you see quite a bit of wildlife anyway. The Zeiss and Swar and great as well;
Getting $$$ these days for new models.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use swaro's in 7x30 and 8x30. They work great for me. I have bought them used for about $500 on ebay and arbay.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking in the $4-500 range, there are a couple of Chinese made (yes, I know) binoculars that are getting rave reviews. The Promaster and Zen Ray brands are said to be right up with the alpha binoculars. Call Doug at Cameraland and ask him about these. They supposedly blow away the Vortex binocs, and everything else in their price range.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The Steiner Peregrine models are supposed to be good and in the $700 range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For about $400 more, you can get the Swarovski 7x42 SLC brand new.

The 7x42 SLC is one of those binoculars that makes you say WOW! The ease of view is unsurpassed. Sharp edge to edge, and super durable.

Some people will say that 7x is not enough, but most who actually use 7x will argue that it is plenty for anything but long range varmint hunting and some western hunting. All of those are a mute point if you have a spotting scope at your disposal.

At least give the 7x42's a look. You won't regret it.

Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
I have been lucky enough to be able to have the Leica rangefinder 10x42 Geovids, Ex demo model, in Yards, Best thing that ever happened to me!, wouldn't go back to the Zeiss Smiler

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote