New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
looking for a fixed power 10 or 12x scope for varmint caliber rifle. prefer to not spend over $250. or so. Kind of prefer older scopes: U.S. or Japan made. Gloss is fine. Just want reliability and decent clarity. open to various brands. used is fine. Recommendations?

thanks guys.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Much as I hate the tunnel vision in my Monarch 4-16, I suspect Nikon might give you the clarity you want.
Leupold etc probably have something good enough for varmint shooting but if you want utmost mechanical reliability, an ancient Unertl, Kowa or B&L (if you can find the mounts) might be the answer.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SWFA SS 10x MQ is perfect, and bulletproof.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Hawke Endurance 8×56 LR DOT #16240

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Doug, what evidence do we have in the Hawke website that the 'Endurance' scope actually lives up to its name - that the name is not just an advertiser's puff?

How can a scope with such large lenses but competitive price be expected to punch above its weight?

I am amazed at the info they do not give, such as the twilight factor (which should be about 21, I believe). Could we hope the Endurance's secret might be that it lacks the constantly centred reticle?

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
In regard to reliability, I have come across a catalogue from the Australian/Japanese company Nightforce that claims their stuff is virtually indestructable.

I have never used one and have no respect for the concept of image-movement scopes (possibly all scopes made these days) but this company cites two customers, one whose Nightforce scope has withstood 12,000 rounds of 50BMG plus 970 shots from a 14.5x114 Russsian; the other scope had survived 4000 shots from a 20mm Vulcan tactical rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nightforce have an excellent reputation for reliability and toughness.

At one stage they had an ad that featured a snipers (?) rifle that took a round through the tube and was still useable.. not waterproof anymore though Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
looking for a fixed power 10 or 12x scope for varmint caliber rifle. prefer to not spend over $250. or so. Kind of prefer older scopes

Sounds like you are describing a 10 or 12 power Leupold M-8. Check eBay and similar sources and you'll likely find one in your price range. Leupold's lifetime, no questions asked guarantee makes buying a used Leupold as compared to other used brands a much less risky proposition.

I might also point out that right now Leupold is closing out their VX-1 and VX-2 lines, so there are some real bargains available. You can buy a new 4-12X variable within your budget if you don't mind the variable feature.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawke products have a lifetime warranty and all their scopes are AirGun rated. They will handle use with no issues

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger #1 in 458 Lott kill two Hawkes in short order. They did not bother to replace #2 just gave me back my money. When I ask they said it would handle a 500 BMG, Not!

Posts: 749 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10X. Midway has them for $170. Very good scope.

The SWFA Super Sniper is also excellent.

Hawke is an interesting company. They import from China and Japan. The Japanese scopes are as good as anything else made there for the price point. The Chinese scopes are a mixed bag in my experience. The Frontier and Sidwinders are decent scopes. I haven't seen the Endurance series.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote