THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Kahles binoculars- Who uses them & do you like them?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kahles binoculars- Who uses them & do you like them?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Their 8x32s cost about the same as Zeiss Conquest HDs...I really like my Kahles 10-power binos and 3-9x50mm scope...Why isn't this company more well known?

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the binos but have two of their scopes, one having served reliably for 33 years.

Posts: 5110 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
...Why isn't this company more well known?

I dont know why they keep such a low profile but I love my Kahles 8x32 binocular ! Great glass, well made and 25 year warenty Big Grin

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Had a pair of the 8x42 that I sold and regret it to this day!!! They were like the feel of a 1911 in your hand. just something right about it that is exceptionally hard to duplicate.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have one of their scopes mounted on one of my .325 WSMs that I used in Africa a couple of years ago, and I love the scope! Fine quality! tu2 I didn't even know that they made binos, although I should have guessed that! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 10X binos and a 3x9 scope. They are both great. Both are the clearest optics that I own. I used to work at the gun counter for quite a few years. I sold a few Kahles binos and scopes. I sold one set of binos to a fellow that was a serious Alaska hunter. He did a trip every year for about five years and his 10X's survived those trips. He claimed none of his buddies glass survived more than two trips.
Kahles is a family owned business. When the old man of the company passed a few years ago, he put the company in the care of Swarovski, until some family problems were straightened out. The Kahles company is back in full family care again, as I understand it. When I was dealing with them, Kahles did not have a strong distributor system and no repair shop in the US. If there was a problem, they would have been sent back to Europe for repair. I never had to send any back. I always felt that they were Swarovski's quality and a good bit less money.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That's interesting Black Fly,
the only thing I could add is that the company has moved to the outer suburbs from Vienna but some of the websites still show the old address. I sent a registered letter to the PO box but it came back even after being sent on to the City street no. It would appear they didn't leave a forwarding address with the post office.

Posts: 5110 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 8x42's that I like a lot, but never use. I would sell if you are interested. I just sent them back to Austria and had them cleaned and gone thru, less than 5 months ago, haven't used them since.

They have been used hunting twice in their lifetime.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Wow, Cat Power,
was that relly needed? It must have cost a packet. I had my Helia Super 27 refurbished by Kahles after it leaked 11 years ago and that cost $540.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Fujinons for the past 25 years - they're the only binos I've ever found that I like better than Zeiss.
Mine have been carried all over the world and exposed to -40 and +40, and live in my truck the rest of the time. They are battle scarred and filthy, but have never leaked a molecule and remain as clear & crisp as the day I bought them. I'm sure they'll outlast me.

Posts: 5889 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Liam Mark Slattery
posted Hide Post
quote:
hairbol
one of us

posted 25 August 2013 19:41 Hide Post
Had a pair of the 8x42 that I sold and regret it to this day!!! They were like the feel of a 1911 in your hand. just something right about it that is exceptionally hard to duplicate.

I have them in 10x42 love them top quality

Military Police

Posts: 32 | Location: Rep. of Ireland | Registered: 01 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Wow, Cat Power,
was that relly needed? It must have cost a packet. I had my Helia Super 27 refurbished by Kahles after it leaked 11 years ago and that cost $540.

It was no charge, but took 2 months to get back, and no it wasn't needed

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cat Power.

As to the original question:
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
...Why isn't this company more well known?

Like the real 4x4s sold cheaply by Suzuki, I'm kind of glad these companies are a bit humble and don't spend so much on marketing. I got the last Kahles (FFP Helia C 1.1-4x24) new but marked down to $800 - about 40% of what Swaros the same size cost. And yet I've read somewhere that the older brand of Kahles is more highly regarded in Austria.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And yet I've read somewhere that the older brand of Kahles is more highly regarded in Austria.

So true !

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas