Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-II vs. VX-3 recoil resistance
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Is there any difference in the recoil resistance of a Leupold VX-II and a VX-3. I just bought a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H and am looking to put a 3-9x40mm (or similar powered) Leupold on it. I already have a new-in-box VX-II that I was thinking about putting on, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. Is the VX-3 more "heavy duty" as far as recoil resistance goes?

Thanks.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the VX-3 more "heavy duty" as far as recoil resistance goes?

No.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i was going to put the same scope on my .375hh, but ended up getting a 3-9 minox z3 from doug at cameralandny.

i do, however, have a leupy vxII 3-9x40 on my t/c encore muzzelloader. i shoot 250gr shockwaves and max powder charge. that thing packs a wallop and the scope does just fine. i do not have experience with the vx-3 to compare, but i would think the scope you have will work just fine.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is some limited anecdotal evidence that the VX-II, which shares the time-proven "innards" of the old Vari-X IIc, may even be a tad more recoil resistant than the VX-III/3 line. However, any difference is likely negligible.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would have no worries about using a VX-II on a 375 H&H Mag. I've used them on a 375 H&H Mag. and a 458 Lott with no problem.

The VX-3 has dual erector springs that supposedly makes it more durable. I talked to a tech at Leupold though and he didn't seem to think the durability would be increased significantly. I have a couple that I use on very heavy recoiling handguns and haven't broken one yet but haven't used them all that much either so who knows.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I have a VX II 2x7 on my .338 Win mag. It worked fine for several years then all of a sudden one day at the range it wouldn't track. I'd adjust two inches to the right and it would move six inches. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to track correctly so I sent it back to Leupold. They fixed the tracking mechanism and everyting seems to work fine now. I can't say if it had anything to do with recoil or not.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not worry about the recoil. I have the II on rifles up to 338Win mag. I had one on my 50BMG AR50 until my Nightforce came in(about 6 months and much use. Then put it on a Tikka T-3 Lite and it still shoots just fine.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about VX 111s, but my VX 11s have held up for years on some heavy kickers and survived a fair amount of bouncing around. VX1s seem plenty tough to me too.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't specifically a VX-II or VX-III, butI've got a VX-R 1.25-4x on a Browning BLR in .450 Marlin. I've been trying to find out how heavy I can load the gun. So far the 7-1/2lb rifle has handled 400gr monometal bullets at 2200 fps for over 100 rounds. Lighter bullets have also been used at even higher velocities. The scope has held up with no problems so far...knock on wood.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that there is any difference in the recoil that either the II or the III are built to withstand.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I don't believe that there is any difference in the recoil that either the II or the III are built to withstand.

+1

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 05 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only scope failure i have experienced was with a Leupold variX III 3x10 on a Sako .375 H&H. The gun is 24" barrel. I don't know if it was due to a few knocks it took on one trip or recoil. I suspect the former. i returned it to Leupold and some weeks later it was returned. there was no note or communication from Leupold as to what went wrong or what was fixed. I confess that I never had confidence in that particular scope any more and have never mounted it again. I have a VX II in 2x7 on another sako in .375 H&H (a lighter gun 20"bbl)which has been spot on for me for years with a fair amount of use and travel.

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold stands behind all their scopes so this would be their concern. I can't see them putting out a weak link when fixing it will be on their wallet.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have used both on my M70 416 Rem Mag without an issue.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote