New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VS Swift
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do Leupolds compare to Swifts Rifle scopes? In particular recoil, clarity, and warrenty.

Thanks

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Though there seems to be a tendancy now days to bash the Leupold scopes because a few people have had to actually USE Leupold customer service I've actually only known of two (limited sample understandably) friends that have EVER had to have work done on their Leupy scopes. One of them was a factory issue and the other was because the rifle got dropped and landed hard on the concrete, scope first. They fixed both within days and returned them, no charge. I've had zero issues with mine and it's mounted on a 338-378 Wby that has been shot numerous times without the muzzle brake. Understand that this is a VXIII so it had better be sturdy for the money. As to thier glass, I've certainly seen better glass for less money. You might want to consider looking at the Zeiss Conquest line as well.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Swift scopes have better glass than Rifleman or VX-I.
I would not trust my Swift on a heavy recoil rifle.
Swift warranty is over the counter replacement, Leups make that popular trip back to Oregon.
I know of alot more Leups failing than Swifts, although Leup has sold about 1000X more scopes.
There is alot better glass for the $ than Leupold.
I own 0 Leupolds for that reason

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, those stupid benchrest shooters are obviously living in the past and are willing to accept mediocrity in their equipment. That's why 85% of them are using Leupold scopes. When will those guys ever learn?

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I dunno about the lower end, but Leupold has a much better high end. Last month, I spent a whole weekend pestering all the optics vendors at the NRA meetings, making the comparisons for myself (some filed restraining orders - legally, I can't talk about it here). I'd say stick with the Leupold in this instance. The glass is very, very good in the class, and the warranty and service are simply unmatched.

There's lots of Leupy-haters out there because when you're the big boy on top, everyone wants to knock you off. There's a reason they are where they are in the marketplace. I like them, but they're not my preferred "go-to" scope. You're not going to get a bad scope from Leupold.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

Yeah, those stupid benchrest shooters are obviously living in the past and are willing to accept mediocrity in their equipment. That's why 85% of them are using Leupold scopes. When will those guys ever learn?

There is alot better glass FOR THE $than Leupold.
Some people buy brands, some actually buy the best glass within a specific price range. Leupold $800 scopes are pretty good. Leupold $200 scopes are comparable to other manufacturers $100 scopes.
Here is a group of apparent Leupold haters....WARNING brains at work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swifts have a nice clear image but are in my opinion not nearly as depednable. I have owned both and regretted owning the Swift - lost zero at the wrong time missed a huge buck on a trip to Colorado. I'd put a Swift on a 22 or varmint gun but never on a big game rifle.

Zeiss conquest is the best option between $300-500 but Leupold makes a nice scope with great service - I'd go with a VX 3 if you want to spend less I'd look at Burris, Nikon, Sightron, Pentax etc. before I would risk a hunt on a Swift.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Swift variable.

The optics seemed okay, but the scope wouldn't hold its zero between magnification changes, so it is collecting dust at this moment.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by specneeds:
Zeiss conquest is the best option between $300-500 but Leupold makes a nice scope with great service

Today, I did a side by side comparison of a Zeiss Conquest and Leupold VX-3 both in 3-9x40mm. I was hoping that the Conquest would win out because I wanted to give one a try. Not even close...the VX3 was far superior in clarity and eye box. I'm sticking with Leupold!

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
eye box

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
Eeker

dont start that here, please.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thinkingman,
I have issues with the scale you linked. Nothing on the scale talks about holding zero or going back to zero. That is the most important issue to me. However, the scale is good reference material and I have viewed it in the past. I like the fact that they keep updating it, but would anyone buy a scope based on that scale alone?

The only scale that I will believe in is the one that I conduct with my eyes and from experiences of people I know and trust.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...There's a reason they are where they are in the marketplace....

you bet. it's called "marketing."

get more scope for less money with any other brand. loopy seels a reputation, and many people buy it.

it's not that their scopes are "bad" - it's just that you pay too much. they are not bad scopes, just a poor deal all too often.

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
quote:
eye box

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
Eeker

dont start that here, please.

Don't like "eye box", then substitute "more forgiving of eye position". Does that do it for ya?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold thumb

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
slatts wrote:
quote:
Today, I did a side by side comparison of a Zeiss Conquest and Leupold VX-3 both in 3-9x40mm

How could you possibly do so? There is NO Leupold VXIII in 3-9x40 -- never has been to my knowledge.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
slatts wrote:
quote:
Today, I did a side by side comparison of a Zeiss Conquest and Leupold VX-3 both in 3-9x40mm

How could you possibly do so? There is NO Leupold VXIII in 3-9x40 -- never has been to my knowledge.

You know, you're right. My mistake. It was definitely a 3-9x40 so it must have been a VX-II.

So, I'll retract my statement. I don't like the VX-III over the Conquest, I really liked the VX-II over the Conquest. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Let's take these 3 scopes in 3-9x40 format:

Leupold VX-II
Zeiss Conquest
Nikon Monarch

When careful consideration of all pertinent optical performance categories is considered, the VX-II ranks ranks third behind the Conquest, which ever-so-slightly nudges out the Monarch for first place.

Granted, all three would serve one perfectly in the field, and the differences are minimal -- almost impossible to detect in some instances.

Much will boil down to one's individual preference. For me, that includes consideration of the best value for the $$. That translates into "Nikon." I will add that I do have a couple Conquests and really like them. But I don't buy new "L" scopes anymore, though I am not opposed to a good deal on a used model.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

You sound like you have a lot of time in the field as a rifle man, and I don't doubt your opinons are honest and based upon your experience.

From a value perspective, I don't doubt you are correct. For my eyes though the Leupold VX-II beats the Conquest. I guess when it comes down to it, everyone sees things differently...literally and figuratively.

Buy what you want. That's what I'll do. thumb

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Slatts wrote:
quote:
I guess when it comes down to it, everyone sees things differently...literally and figuratively.

Everyone's eyes are different...there's no doubt about that. And like I noted, the differences between the scopes in question are absolutely minimal.

Pick up those 2 scopes again on different days and under different conditions, and you may change your mind. That's because only under controlled conditions can those minor differences make themselves known.

The rest, as you so correctly alluded to, is in the eye of the beholder.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I own both Leupold(VXI & VZII)Rifle and Pistol and Swift(Pistol & Rifle) and am happy with both. In mine I think the Leupold rifle scopes are just a wee bit better in the clarity department. The Swift pistol scopes are about the same in my opinion.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote