THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    anyone have significant round count with a Minox?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone have significant round count with a Minox?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was thinking of getting a Minox for a third string rifle, but i got a little nervous after reading more about them. Someone mentioned the long thread on another board (24hr campfire maybe?) where folks loved them in the early pages and then started having problems with them in the latter pages. I do not read other boards and just flipped over to that ne for the one long thread.

So does anyone have a Minox mounted on a rifle of say .243 or larger and have at least 1000 rounds through it? Or know anyone? Or have read threads where others do?

I am really only looking for experience with the low count 0f 1000 rounds down the tube. Optics in the living room are nice and all, but i am wanting to know if they are holding up in actual use. 1000 rounds from a .243 is about as close to nothing as you can get with a rifle scope, so anything more is much better data.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have 3 that I am going to try two 1.5-8x32 and one 2-10x40. As soon as this cold spell breaks I will put a bunch of rounds down. I have the 1.5-8x32 on a 375 Weatherby so we should know pretty quick!!!

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eagerly awaiting your experience! Especially with the .375Wby.

-28° here this morning. Thank god the wind was dead still. I don't do just a whole lot of shooting in this weather either! But supposed to be 30° on Saturday and may sight in a rifle. I will just be happy to see the temperature get to the hot side of Zero!!!

ETA-how do the scopes look in person?

Have you tested them outside early and late in the day to see how long you can see the cross hairs and how bright the scope is at twilight?

When you held them and mounted them on the rifles, did they seem to be well made scopes?

Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scopes look good in person. only thing I didn't like was the turrets. I usually try to find close to optical center of the adjustments before I mount. I just take the adjustment all the way up or right count how many down till the bottom and go in the middle for optical center. can't do with these no stop on dial will just keep turning forever. audible clicks just no stop on mine. When bore sighting reticle would stop moving but you could still turn the dial.
I have tested them against vx3's 1.75-6 and 2.5-8x and the glass on the Minox 1.5-8X32 compares favorably from a resolution stand point. I can read my chart at a higher power and longer time from the same distance as I can with vx3's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard you can adjust your reticle to the optical center by using a mirror. I'm not sure of the details, but someone might chime in.

This sounds like a better way than turning the turrets until you hit the stops and then turning back to the center.

Posts: 506 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll stick to what is customarily in the instructions of the better scopes like S&B Zeiss etc and what I have been happily doing for over 20 years. It just makes you feel good running a new scope through it 's entire range....Wouldn't have known about no stops if I wasn't using this method of mounting instructions... I see no reason to fool around with a mirror when I am trying to just start somewhere close to the center. The rifles I am mounting these scopes on have proven mounts that are near center so when I bore sight I will be ok. Just found it strange no stops. Called Minox and they said turret was designed for more than one model and to save $ they all use said turret. Some scopes have more adjustment in this line than others so they left the stops out???