New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illuminated DG scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a high quality DG scope with an illuminated reticle that is on the lighter side? Have a 1.7-10x42 swaro but have been thinking about the 2.5-8 Leupold to save some weight. Like the illuminated reticle. Thanks

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
What dangerous game do you want it for? If for leopard, I'd suggest one that doesn't have an illumination turret sitting on top of the ocular housing, adding the hill to the modern tunnel vision.

Personally, I would not risk any kind of illumination in a scope for DG, esp. if you get into the habit of running the light all the time. My reason: if you do, you will become addicted to it and when it fails the shock may cause you to panic, with fatal consequences.

On the weight question, a bit more mass in a heavy-recoil rifle may make it more pleasant to shoot. If carrying it is the problem, perhaps a gun bearer might be found.

Posts: 5013 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1x6 trijicon, is holding up on 450/400, no batteries.

Posts: 1078 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Unlike some here, I have "risked" using illuminated Leupold scopes on big bore rifles hunting dangerous game for over 15 years. I currently have four; 2 each older VX-III 1.5-5x circle-dot reticle, a VX-6 1-6x post and a VX-R 2-7x firedot. I have hunted DG multiple times with three of them and will be using the fourth this June in the Cameroon rainforest. I also use red-dots without any problems.

But if you are an "addictive" personality subject to "shock" and "panic", perhaps you shouldn't be hunting DG to begin with? Roll Eyes

Sambar: Honestly, yours is perhaps the funniest post I have ever read on AR! rotflmo jumping

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you've had a laugh, Lion... I had one, too, when a couple of pals turned up at the deer camp with all their electronic gear, rechargers etc sorted meticulously, or so it seemed.

These guys are no dills, both holding managerial positions in important organisations. However, when they unlimbered their rifles, both with two-year-old Leupold VX-R scopes, the batteries were flat. That, you might say, is just carelessness - but modern life can be hectic and I reckon the fewer batteries we have to worry about, the better.

Even Leupold doesn't trust their illumination too far: while they guarantee the rest of the scope for life, the light was only covered for a year or two, last time I looked.

PS: I'm glad to see you don't believe in the moz, karma and all that, too. Remember to keep your PH close, just the same.

Posts: 5013 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
Is there a high quality DG scope with an illuminated reticle that is on the lighter side? Have a 1.7-10x42 swaro but have been thinking about the 2.5-8 Leupold to save some weight. Like the illuminated reticle. Thanks

Get the z6i 1-6x24 - it's my go to scope.

Much better than the trijicons which are also great scopes.

I have a vx6 that will be going on my blaser as soon as I get it.

For me only illuminated scopes for hunting. Only Swarovski for high dollar hunting - cats and sheep. I am done hunting cats and too lazy to hunts sheeps so I am always on the look out for good illuminated glass than does not cost $2k.

But for you it Will be Tough stepping down from a Swarovski so I would just get a z6i.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Sambar-

The VX-R and VX-6 use a "button" battery that is smaller than a U.S. quarter coin. Anybody using a red-dot or illuminated scope who does not carry a couple spares, even to the range, should not be considered a serious shooter. I keep spares in all my gun cases. Cost is about $1.00 each.

Having said that. I know some who are new to these devices who do not realize/remember that they can be turned off - had one at the range a week ago who cased his rifle without turning it off. These devices do have a much greater battery life now than those of 15-20 years ago.

And another thought, while I am not up on current Aussie military issue, the U.S. military has been using battery operated sight devices for at least 15 years in combat and I have not heard of any documented cases of operational failures. Of course warriors are probably more conscientious about their firearms and sighting systems than a couple of "managers in important organizations". shocker

BTW, Leupold has serviced and updated my 17 year old illuminated scopes without charge.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lion-, yeah, those points you make are fair enough but, at risk of my copyright on the issue, I'll drop in a par from a book I've been writing on scope issues:

Forum contacts tell me, however, that modern armies use illuminated scopes and swear by them, so I guess that settles it. Would the caring military masters provide equipment that wasnʼt absolutely safe for their troops? Would they deploy Agent Orange or issue Ross rifles? No, that doesnʼt matter, you say, as apparently itʼs the snipers who endorse these scopes. Well, they like to live dangerously and Iʼm not going to contradict them while my blind is up. Anyone for electronic trigger releases? The military loves them, I hear. © 2017 Samuel B. Mann

In case you're wondering what else I discuss in the book about illumination, I spend some time on the matter of ethics in sportsmanship. This goes along the line of: obviously game has evolved to a point where we need more than fingernails and rocks to bag something and have been using glass in sights for maybe 300 years - but should we draw the line at electronics?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have about a dozen swaro 1-6x24 z6i illuminated scopes. Finest DG and PG scope ever made.

I even have a spare or two New in box. If you want one wholesale, I'd part with one of them perhaps as I really don't need so many spares.

Regardless of where you get one, that's the scope to have.

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Swaro 1X6, kind of in a class by themselves but they are big babies compared to the Leupold vx-6 which is my second choice.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have illiminated scopes on most of my hunting rifles. I have Trijicon accupoint and accupower, Kahles, Leupold and Swarovski. The Swarovski V6i 1x6 is my favorite and it is on a M70 .375H&H. I have a Leupold VXR 1-4 on my Merkel SxS 9.3x74. I love it on that small rifle.

All batteries will fail sooner or later. Car batteries, scope batteries, etc. Plan and train accordingly.

In my former life I carried a lot of kit that required batteries. Proper planning and training abated any real or imagined issues.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lion Hunter,
One of these days well find you half et up, with a dead flashlight in one hand and a defunct scope in the other hand and a fat happy Leopard in your lap licking your chops!! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have a VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm with illuminated reticle. It's the best of both world's. If the illuminated reticle ever did fail the reticle still work's. I also carry a spare battery in my gun case. I am departing today with it for a Leopard hunt!!! Cool

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
I have a VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm with illuminated reticle. It's the best of both world's. If the illuminated reticle ever did fail the reticle still work's. I also carry a spare battery in my gun case. I am departing today with it for a Leopard hunt!!! Cool

Slider -

Didn't you hear what Ray-Ray said? You are sure to be eaten, or at least mauled, by any Leopard you go after, since you are using an illuminated reticle scope faint Oh, the horror nilly

Best of luck on your Leopard safari. clap

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
If that Leopard is sitting in my lap it's because he's dead and it's picture day!!! Cool

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I find something worrying about using a scope for dangerous game with such a high lowest power?

What happens if that is the rifle you are carrying to the hide in daylight and something charges? An excellent way to get 'illiminated'.