Find
Notify
Tools

Worth it to upgrade binoculars?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
So I have some old Zeiss Classic binoculars, 10x40 and 8x20 that were purchased in the mid to late 80's IIRC. They have served me well all of these years but hearing about all of the newer coatings and glass technology has me wondering if it is time to replace them. Keep in mind my 64 year old eyes and would like to keep the replacements less than $1K each.
What say you?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While your binoculars almost certainly do not have what Zeiss identifies as "P*" coating (reduces glare/reflections among internal lenses and mirror finishes in roof prism binoculars, I think), a factor that binocular buyers tend to omit from purchase consideration is that as we age, our eyes/lenses become less flexible, less able to take advantage of visual acuity and brightness that are available to - say - nineteen year olds. If your binoculars are doing the job you want them to do and are neither too heavy at the end of a day's hunt nor fogging or "loose as a goose" at adjustment surfaces, make no changes. If you decide to make a change to your full size binocular, I strongly recommend you anchor your choice on FIELD OF VIEW.

My personal binoculars are two Zeiss 7x42 B/GA T*P*. My circa 2000 Zeiss binoculars remain among the brightest, clearest lens systems - and have a larger field of view when compared with any currently made binocular having a similar sporting general purpose.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Unless the old ones are much heavier than new ones, or you are into that obsession with hunting until it is too late (and it is always later than we think), I wouldn't bother.

Put the money towards a vacation to some exotic location that will really let the light in.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer if you believe all the new developments which actually add a very minute amount that human eyes don't detect, but sophisticated test equipment can detect, really you believe it, it will probably help. You spent the money and have to justify it. If not convinced before hand, you'll probably notice no difference. By the responses that disagree with me, you'll probably have a pretty good idea who bought the latest most expensive stuff, they'll be saying I'm wrong.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I think that the new technology in lens coatings and such are worth the upgrade.

A lot has changed since the 80's.

I have the 10x42 Bushnell Legend HD's and they are very crisp and clear for being less than $300. My Vortex Razor HD 8x42 binoculars are another very impressive pair. I have used them for about a year in low light and day use. As we all know the Vortex warranty is great if it is ever needed (I have not).

If you were closer I'd let you try out a few pairs and see what you thought. I recommend heading to a local sporting goods store and bring your pair in with you. That way you can compare side by side. I think you will be impressed in even the lower priced bins

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I checked both pair today. The 8x20's have just a P on the focusing wheel and the 10x40's have T*P* on the wheel. Does that signify generation/ coatings used?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss included the P* coating on roof prism binoculars beginning in, I believe, 1988. Lens coatings changed/improved?? when Schott (a wholly owned Zeiss subsidiary) leaded optical glass for lenses was discontinued to satisfy environmentalists. So your 10x40s are top-of-the-line for Schmidt roof prism lens systems for the leaded glass era. Only Zeiss' Abbe-Koenig lens system is superior. And best known of that system's binoculars is Zeiss' 7x42 B/GA T*P*.

Your 8x20s are less advanced. But I'm not able to evaluate them objectively. I do not care for binoculars that are marginally satisfactory but for being exceptionally convenient to carry.

At 64, you'll have the funds to acquire very good currently manufactured binoculars. Your eyes' ability to take advantage of any optical improvement is unlikely. And to repeat what has been mentioned, real world improvement from your 10x40s will be in your imagination . . . and over Zeiss' 7x42 B/GA T*P* none yet.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I can put the money to better use in a new spotting scope. My old Bushnell is definitely not top of the line. tu2

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer, my standard recommendation, go to EBAY and find a B&L Rochester NY made spotting scope.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have compared by 7x42 BGAT T*P* against latest generation Zeiss, Swarovoski and Leica. I think there might be a very tiny bit of improvement - more from the fact that they haven't had 20 years of hard use. But I don't think modern Zeiss feel as robust, and swarovski's and leicas handle like bricks. And the £2,000 or so price tag is much better used elsewhere.

What may well be worth doing is sending the to Zeiss for a full service and some cases have the outside lenses replaced if they are scratched and worn.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer--What is intended use of the spotting scope? If you will be packing it, the B&L Rochester NY made 15x 60x is not the one to get. Heavy and bulky, but Mac truck tough so to speak, very clear optics. I read here that the fixed power scopes are more clear than the variable. Don't know haven't compared, but I'm highly pleased with my variable. Might add you could possibly go to garage sales forever and not run across one, but they are always available on EBAY, same with binoculars. Amazing how many pairs of 7x50's survived WW2.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Primarily range work but it will come along at least in the truck when hunting. My backpacking days are over.
I'm tired of having to go look at a target when the scope I have now won't show a bullet hole in the black or let me distinguish 2 holes that are very close. It has plenty of power but the clarity leaves something to be desired.

Have gun- Will travel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Send them to me before you throw them away please!! wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I love the old Zeiss binos. Currently use Leicas, but my wife went to Tanz with me this year for the first time and she carried those old Zeiss's. I wouldn't replace them if you aren't unhappy with them.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
I have compared by 7x42 BGAT T*P* against latest generation Zeiss, Swarovoski and Leica. I think there might be a very tiny bit of improvement - more from the fact that they haven't had 20 years of hard use. But I don't think modern Zeiss feel as robust, and swarovski's and leicas handle like bricks. And the £2,000 or so price tag is much better used elsewhere.

I'm also looking for new binoculars and am curious about the statement above. The 10x40 Leicas are listed at 730 grams and the 10x42 Swaros are at 760 - 795 grams what makes the difference in feel? Shape?

quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Primarily range work but it will come along at least in the truck when hunting. My backpacking days are over.
I'm tired of having to go look at a target when the scope I have now won't show a bullet hole in the black or let me distinguish 2 holes that are very close. It has plenty of power but the clarity leaves something to be desired.

I don't even a spotting scope for range use. I just bring one of the varmint rifles with a big variable scope and I shoot white targets. I have white targets with small black or orange aiming marks and set the guns up to hit in the white directly over the aiming point. It's much easier on the 60 year old eyes.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42 and think they are great. They are not as "edge to edge" clear as a Swaro or Leica, but I think for the price (about 500$ it looks like now), they are excellent.