New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pentax Gameseeker
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 4x12x40 mounted on a .222. After less than a hundred rounds the windage and elevation adjustments are all over the place.
Anyone have experience or knowledge about these scopes?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The GameSeekers are Pentax's entry-level scopes (i.e. inexpensive) with a pretty decent warranty. Send it in; they'll repair or replace it for you.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a camera branded Leupold a couple of years ago. Optically, it was fine, but I quickly quit using it because, despite all of its features which sounded great in the advertising hype, it was poorly adapted as a camera and its features were poorly conceived and executed.

For the same reason I won't ever buy another camera from riflescope company, I won't ever buy a scope from a camera company.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 4-12 on my 17 HMR for quite a while - for the price they aren't bad at all for a rimfire or varmint rifle. I wouldn't use it on a big game rifle or in a critical situation - but for squirrels, crows, bobcats, and coyotes it would be fine from my experience. I bought mine from Doug at CameralandNY so I know that I would get good service on the warranty if I had needed it. I'd send it back for repair or replacement.

Just out of curiosity is Leica too much of a a camera company to buy their scopes?

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just out of curiosity is Leica too much of a a camera company to buy their scopes?

Yes.

Camera companies are capable of making excellent optical instruments, but virtually none of them understand the features which are important in an optical gunsight.

Every riflescope is an optical instrument which must be a compromise of optical and mechanical trade-offs which must be well-balanced in order for the instrument to function well, both technically and ergonomically. Camera companies consistently fail to get the right mix.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote