Find
Notify
Tools

nikon?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
i have never owned a nikon scope and was hoping to get some opinions.i need a scope to top on a 375h&h i like the 1.5x6x42 zeiss $1300-$1600 i see that nikon has the monarch gold 1.5x6x42 for $600.00 and was wondering how they were. i am pretty set on a 1.5x6x42 scope. i know alot of guys use the leupold 1.75x6x32 and i have a leupold vari-x ii 2x7x33 , i just think a 42mm is the way i want to go. so how are the nikon scopes?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have owned Nikon monarch scopes and always found them optically superior to the Leupold Vari-X III line, and they also have a lifetime warranty with good service.

Whether the scope you're looking at will have adequate eye relief and will handle the recoil I cannot say.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the scope on a 35 wildcat that is about like a 375 improved necked to 35. The scope has lived nicely for over 7 years on said rifle and hundreds of rounds. The monarch gold has over 4" of constant eye relief and is superior to the monarch line in every way. Get the German #4 reticle. The Gold line has been discoed and may be hard to find. It was a direct response to Leupolds discoed LPS 30mm scope line that retailed for over $1000 about 10 years ago.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I have looked at those scopes and I also have a number of high end Euro 1.5-6x42 scopes. I did buy a 2.5-10x50 Nikon Monarch Gold. The Nikon is very bright. Maybe as bright as anything I own. The sight picture is quite contrasty. The reticle leaves a lot to be desired. It is not an etched reticle and the scope is quite sensitive to light entering from the back.

I could use the scope happily for the rest of my days, but for the fact that I have used better scopes. It's a little heavy, but so is my Schmidt. The reticle needs help, but so do my Leupy scopes. If I had to use it a lot for night hunting I wouldn't be happy, but for normal legal shooting hours it is well more than adequate.

You might look at the Meopta 1.5-6x42. Better reticle, equal glass, lighter and a fair amount cheaper. I have one and it compares very well with My Zeiss/Swaro/Schmidt glass.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. J i agree on the german #4 i use the #4 on all my big game scopes thanks again

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have owned Nikon monarch scopes and always found them optically superior to the Leupold Vari-X III line, and they also have a lifetime warranty with good service.

+1 The glass is far superior to the Leupold.

quote:
The Nikon is very bright. Maybe as bright as anything I own.

I wouldn't go that far. My Swaro is way better---at three times the price.

quote:
The reticle leaves a lot to be desired. It is not an etched reticle and the scope is quite sensitive to light entering from the back.

I agree. It's a wire reticle and it can reflect a lot of light---almost to the point of distraction. The etched reticles in Zeiss Conquest are considerably better.

For the money it's hard to beat Nikon at any of their price points.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote