New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mils vs MOA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x56. The adjustments are in MOA. I see in the owners manual I could have the turrets changed out to Mils. What is the difference and what advantage or disadvantages do they present? I will be using this scope on a 300 RUM for longrange shooting.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a quality scope there, but rather than listen to my ramblings, suggest you google a search on the "mil dot system" and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know. Simply put, the two are a system of measurement for distance, size of an object, etc. Mil dot systems can provide a finer division of distance, size of an object, etc. based on the size of the mil dot or divisions of same shown on the reticle of your scope. Curious if your scope requires that to utilize the moa dots the power setting should be at it's max power?? Either system is not caliber specific and only provides range/distance to target and you would need to know the ballistics of the round being used to get on target.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have a "dot" reticule. I have NP-R1, which has a series of hash marks. Perhaps I should have been more specific. My current adjustments are in .25 MOA increments. 1/10 Mil "clicks" are also available.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
I do not have a "dot" reticule. I have NP-R1, which has a series of hash marks. Perhaps I should have been more specific. My current adjustments are in .25 MOA increments. 1/10 Mil "clicks" are also available.

Since you have the NP_R1 reticle which is in MOA I recomend leaving your turrets as is (MOA) IMHO and experience it is much simpler for the turrets to match the reticle.

If you had a MIL reticle , then MIL turrets would indeed makes sense

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Both a mil or more properly a milli-radian and MOA or minute of angle are both measure of small angles. A minute of angle is 1/60 of a degree, and a radian is 180/pi degrees or about 57.295 degrees. A milliradian is .001 x Radian.

Big advantage if knob and reticle are in same unit, say mils.

Europeasants do, but we don't have same units in our scopes.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mils are the common method of measuring angles in the military and such a scope would appeal to a GI trained marksman. the Artillery Mil is defined as 1/6400 of a circle. this is just a hair different from a true Mil but the number was chosen for convenience so that 90 deg equals 1600mils, 180 equals 3200, and 270 equals 4800. In other words, "It's close enough for government work." Deflection and elevation (quadrant) for the guns is measured in mils. An angle of 1 mill will subtend approximately 1 meter at 1000 meters. This is a relationship that makes it much easier for an artillery forward observer to estimate deflections when calling for fire. Machinegun sights are marked in mils for the same reason.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote