New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best DGR Scope for Buffalo Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 375 Whitworth H & H that will be utilized for buffalo hunting. I want to know from your personnal experiences what is the most clear and durable scope that you have used and what you would recommend. I am looking to utilize a detachable set of rings.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have found the best scope for this use is the SCHMIDT & BENDER 1.5-6X42 "MAGNUM EYE RELIEF" (95mm of eye relief) with no#4 reticle. thumb
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter,

That is, indeed, a wonderful scope!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used a 500 Nitro Express with express sights on all my buffalo.

But have scopes on some heavy recoiling rifles like 460 Wby and 500 A-Square.

The conventional Leupold 1.5-5X VXIII works fine.

But also the scout scopes from Leupold and Burris work fine. Don't worry about the eye relief with the scout scope. Mounted in Talley rings. No problems.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
I have found the best scope for this use is the SCHMIDT & BENDER 1.5-6X42 "MAGNUM EYE RELIEF" (95mm of eye relief) with no#4 reticle. thumb
ozhunter

I too have also heard that. I'm getting one put on my 375 H&H and will probably put one on my 416 Rigby.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have used the Leupold 1.5-5x20 on my 375 H&H and wished for my Leupold 2.5-8. The 1.5-5x20 is great on my 416 Rigby, but I'd like a little more range on the 375.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lEUPOLD VX III 1.75-6 Standard duplex reticle.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote