Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

zeiss conquest
 Login/Join

posted
I am considering buying a zeiss conquest i read they are made in usa my question is does ziess make them or someone make them for them any other comments please.

Posts: 38 | Location: seattle,wa | Registered: 29 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the glass (and maybe other components) are imported from Zeiss in Germany and assembled here in the US. The cost savings comes from lower labor rates here.

BTW, they are excellent scopes and the best bang for the buck available, IMO.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is how I understand it as well. I would highly recommend looking at the zeiss conquest demo offerings at Cameralandny.com web site.

You will not find zeiss cheaper anywhere.

Cheers

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HEADHUNTER 300MAG
posted Hide Post
i second what woods posted,very good scopes ,they will handle heavy recoil also ,i have 4 of them good luck

Posts: 81 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My understanding is that the glass (and maybe other components) are imported from Zeiss in Germany and assembled here in the US. The cost savings comes from lower labor rates here.

So far as I am aware, they use essentially the same sources of components as the European-assembled scopes. This doesn't necessarily mean that all of the parts are of German origin. Like nearly all optical manufacturers, Zeiss almost assuredly gets some of its glass from Asia. Little things like springs and screws might come from anywhere, including the U.S.

The cost savings from assembly in the U.S. does not come from lower labor costs (total labor costs in Germany are lower largely due to much less expensive health care). It comes from avoiding import tariffs.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW there are NO WARRANTY REPAIRS done in Europe on Zeiss Cnquest 'scopes by Zeiss. Or in fact any repairs or servicing in Europe on the Conquest. It has to go back to the USA.

Which if you live in USA isn't a problem. But...if you are buying it and then moving to Europe longterm either on a military posting or etc. you've problems!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good, tough scopes. I highly recommend them.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW there are NO WARRANTY REPAIRS done in Europe on Zeiss Cnquest 'scopes by Zeiss. Or in fact any repairs or servicing in Europe on the Conquest. It has to go back to the USA.

Which if you live in USA isn't a problem. But...if you are buying it and then moving to Europe longterm either on a military posting or etc. you've problems!

I sent Zeiss an e-mail asking about this, and they responded fast that it is NOT Zeiss policy. It could be some funk in import/export rules.

"Dear Sir

Thank you for your inquiry.
This is not a Zeiss policy. There are export restrictions. Unfortunately you would have to go thru the dealer you purchased it form.
Sorry for any inconvenience!
Best Regards,

Carl Zeiss Optical,Inc.
Customer Service Department
13005 N. Kingston Ave.
Chester, VA 23836
800-441-3005
804-530-8300
Fax: 804-530-8333"

Posts: 16117 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote