Find
Notify
Tools

Long eye relief (Scout) scope recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
I picked up a Mini-14 in 6.8SPC that has a rail for a scout scope. What are some recommendations of those who use them or have used them in the past?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tanker Garand with a scout scope.

Scout scopes do not work as they are intended for ME because I am right handed and left eye dominate.
So I must close my left eye to see through the scope. I still get the benefit of the scope with a little magnification, but I do not get the full benefit of being able to shoot with both eyes open.

So baised on the above...

The scout scope is a great concept. If you have "normal" eyes they are very fast and very accurate.

In todays world the "scout scope principle" is alive and well with Red Dot sights. Almost all SWAT Teams, and Military Spec OPS Teams, and even high speed handgun shooters, [where competition legal] use some sort of Red Dot...

Even with my cross eye dominance I can use a Red Dot with both eyes open.
A foward mounted optic is much faster and much more accurate than iron sights.

Cliff I recommend you go to a store that has both a scout scope and a red dot and give them a look and get the one you like the best.

For a small compact Red Dot I can recommend the Docter Optic, and the Burris Fast Fire.
You want a 3.5 to 4 minute dot.

For a scout scope either the Leupold or the Burris.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is my opinion that any long eye relief scope can be uased in the scout configuration.
Long eye relief scopes are prevalent for pistols.
You should also consider Nikon in addition to those already mentioned.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold on a AR-15 platform . With a tac light It makes a super rig-daylight or dark and gives room to work controls on the AR.

Highly recommended-- tu2

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
I've had a Burris Scout Scope on my Scout Rifle since it was built 20-years ago and have had no problems w/ it.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Leupold 2x handgun scope that was supposed to go on a .44 project that never got around to being done...so I used an S&K mount to put the 2x Leu on a Czech vz24 in a scout configuration. Works fine, but I will have to get a cheekpiece as it sits up high. But it works well for 100yds+, better than iron sights for my tired eyes.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
+1 for the 2x Leupold handgun scope. One has sat on my .404J Mauser for over 30 years and never moved.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote