Notify
Tools

Short mag scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I kinda like the looks and fit of the Burris
short mag 3X9 for my SA Ruger.

Anyone used one of these? Hard to beat the "forever" warranty too?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Don

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I have been looking at the Burris scopes a lot lately. I went on a hunt with John Barnsnes who knows a hell of a lot about scopes. He told me that Burris scopes were a great value, and that their 'European' line was all American made (which their web site states too)

I have found their scopes to offer very excellent clarity, function and design. I have purchase a fullfield II and am very pleased with it. I have looked at the Short Mag scopes and I think they are basically the same as the fullfield II's, just shorter in length....so if that scope dimensions fit the rifle you intend to put it on, I'd say it's a good choice and value. The only issue I have with the SM scopes, would be that they are so short, that they may not be mountable on various other actions.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new 3x9 R/A which is the same as the short magnums & am not all that happy with it. It is just too intolerant of poor head positioning bue to eye relief. Try it at the length you are going to use it before you buy it.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm more unhappy with my 3x9 scope today. I carried it to the range for the 1st time & it can not be focused on a 100 yd redfield target at any power over 6x.. Back to Burris with this 1.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Better options out there if you want a compact scope...I dont like their mounting tube length,objective size and eye relief combinations .

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Some good reviews and some not-so-good!

The eye relief on the 3X9 short mag is 3.75" to 5". I usually set my scopes on about 5X so
maybe pretty close to 4" of eye relief?

Eyebox is another matter. Maybe I better check one out on the rifle before I commit?

A buddy of mine has a Sightron 2.5X10 compact
that he dearly loves on a SA Winchester 70.
Maybe I'll look into those?

The Weaver grand slam 4.75X might work too?

Thanks for the responses,

Don

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Don, they changed the eye relief on them from when they were originally introduced. I recall they were 3.1 on their highest power. Nevertheless they are a Burris and after owning 6 and having 5 go tits up and experienceing their level of customer service..No thank you. Better choices out there

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SempreElk:
Don, they changed the eye relief on them from when they were originally introduced. I recall they were 3.1 on their highest power. Nevertheless they are a Burris and after owning 6 and having 5 go tits up and experienceing their level of customer service..No thank you. Better choices out there

Thanks, SE. I guess that's why not too many guys recommend them?

one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 3x9 Short Mag last summer. I sent it back for a refund because the image would "fog over" with the slightest movement of my head. Replaced with a Leupold, no more problems -- S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote