Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Conquest---Plastic Adj Knobs???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I have been told the adjustment knobs on the Zeiss Conquest scopes are plastic. If this is true, are they unsightly for a quality scope or do you not notice them? This is a concern when putting this on a 3k rifle!

Otherwise what do we know about IOR, Doctor, Karl Kap, etc scopes??? Looking for a high-mid range scope.....

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Conquest 3 years now, and I love it. I think they are plastic, but they look great. Great scope!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are plastic, you don't notice them when hunting or shooting, but it sounds like you are buying your scope for the German name or for looks.

Spend more and buy a Shmidt & Bender then you will have a $5K rifle with a great scope. Or spend less than 1/2 that for a Conquest - a great value in a crystal clear dependable scope...... with plastic lens caps.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a quality scope, and the plastic is a concern, but as long as it is still quality I am cool with it............

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 on my Echols Legend .300 Wby (12k rifle) and I don't believe the plastic turret caps stand out. That said, it would be better if they were aluminum.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Zeiss Conquest and got rid of it for the reason you mention. It would not stay sighted in and caused me more grief than it was worth. I am back to Leupold's and Swaro's. My experience tainted me on Zeiss products.

Posts: 10266 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting piece of info from dogcat. I have a ton of Conquests and they have been/are absoulutely bulletproof. Several are on big boomers--375, 300WM, WSM, 330 Dakota 300 RUM to name a few. It's the scope adjustment cover caps that are plastic, and wish they weren't, if someone sold metal aftermarket caps I would by them, but I certainly don't think they affect accuracy in any way.......

Maybe dogcat just got a dog---instead of a cat('s) meow Smiler

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the adjustment knobs on Conquests are plastic. The caps are for sure. I say so what?

The scopes that I have used for the last 50 years were primarily Lymans then Leupolds and since I saw my first Conquest I would not buy another Leupold no matter what. I now have 5 Zeiss and wish my other 10 mistakes (loopies) were Zeiss.

The best buy in the Conquest line is the 3-9. My last scope purchase was last month and it was a 4.5-14 Conquest.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost every time the Conquest comes up, it seems someone is just totally destroyed by the fact the caps are plastic. I wouldn't even have noticed if someone hadn't mentioned it. I have several and they are the best buy in a quality riflescope in today's market.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
Almost every time the Conquest comes up, it seems someone is just totally destroyed by the fact the caps are plastic. I wouldn't even have noticed if someone hadn't mentioned it. I have several and they are the best buy in a quality riflescope in today's market.

I'm with you, Mr. Stevens. I had to go look a few minutes ago. I hadn't noticed they were plastic either! And this fact affects the overall quality, how?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm on the Conquest band wagon too.

The plastic turrets are NOT a big deal for me on a hunting scope.
My hunting scopes aren't being "clicked" all the time like my target scopes are.

The Zeiss Conquest is a "Set it and Forget it" scope.
I do like the "pull up" turret feature too.

The Conquest is too good of a scope to by-pass because of the plastic turrets, IMHO.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I actually find them quite appealing. I think the conquest is better looking than my Leupies and Nikons.

When I opened the box on my Conquest and mounted & bore sighted the scope for the first time I will admit, I thought the plastic caps were sort of ridiculous but they work quite well and I can't really tell they are plastic until I take them off and feel how light weight they are.

The only thing i wish was different about the appearance of my Conquest is that I wish the side PA knob was level when set on 100 yards. Instead the blue emblem is cocked on an angle when set on 100 yards.

I've worked w/ Swarovski and Kahles and I'll have to say I actually like the Zeiss turret caps better than the other two.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
That's an interesting piece of info from dogcat. I have a ton of Conquests and they have been/are absoulutely bulletproof. Several are on big boomers--375, 300WM, WSM, 330 Dakota 300 RUM to name a few. It's the scope adjustment cover caps that are plastic, and wish they weren't, if someone sold metal aftermarket caps I would by them, but I certainly don't think they affect accuracy in any way.......

Maybe dogcat just got a dog---instead of a cat('s) meow Smiler

I probably did get a "cat" of a scope. I don't mean to knock something some else has and is happy with - it just wasn't for me..

Posts: 10266 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote