Notify
Tools

Bushnell banner scope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
I was looking at scopes and found this one Bushnell banner illuminated 4-16x40
anyone own one . I was wondering how the optics were and if they were clear. Thinking about putting one on a Muzzle loader. shots out to 200 yrd

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experiences with today's Bushnell's were they are great vocabulary builders. You'll learn all kinds of words you can't use in public. When they break, and they will, you'll get your Phd in vocabulary when you deal with their service dept.. Spend a few more bucks and get a Leupold. You'll spend that much in postage sending the Bushnell in for service.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
They were Bushnell's fighting brand IIRC, with the swinging erector set needed to give the smoke and mirrors of a constantly centred reticle, so carpetman's comments do not surprise me.

Also, I think the power range sounds a bit high for use on a muzzleloader. Of what's available new these days, you might be better with a small Leupold 2.5x or 3x scope.

Posts: 5102 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman The bad experiences I had with today's Bushnell's were not the types with the bells and whistles--plain Jane variable scopes mounted on light recoiling rifles. Back in the 60's I used a Bushnell and it was a great scope.

One bad experience I had with Bushnell service was a simple matter of getting some adjustment covers that had been lost by the previous owner. They sent me a form to fill out. Information included type scope, power, serial number, and country of origin. You'd think this would nail it down. Wrong covers sent. Returned and another set of very obviously used covers were sent (at full new price). Was told new ones no longer in stock, and scope was not all that old. I was told, possibly on this forum to contact a service rep named Leslie. In meantime scope had issues. Contacted Leslie and returned it, addressed to Leslie. Got scope back with new adjustment covers, but scope itself still had issues. I was out a fair amount for postage through the deal and got rid of all my Bushnells and have remained without any.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My previous responses may make it sound that I'm hard on things. Not the case. My first rifle bought in mid 60's is a 30-06 Win model 70, bought new. Has taken couple moose, caribou, antelope and several white tails. Still looks almost as good as new. Originally had a Weaver K-4 on it and later on did upgrade to a variable Leupold, but the K-4 is still kicking on another rifle.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Muzzle loader is a traditions came with a Cronus brand scope no clarity at all adjudted the eye bell and it cleared up some. the point of impact droped 2 feet to about 8 oclock. re adjusted and ran out of adjustment on and on.
I have an older sportview that is pretty good and was going by it. e
not sure open sights are out. I have about a month before season.. Goin to the gun shop tomorrow see what deal I can get

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hivelosity--one more pitch for Leupold--they retain and even increase in value. Cheap scope you get to throw it in trash and no return on your money.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Thanks I am going tomorrow and look at some scopes leupold is on the list.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
... In meantime scope had issues. Contacted Leslie and returned it, addressed to Leslie. Got scope back with new adjustment covers, but scope itself still had issues...

Thanks Carpetman. Just for curiosity, what were those issues?

Posts: 5102 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman, That was probably over 25 years ago and I don't fully remember, think it might have been a crosshair fell out of place.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks carpetman, if you ever recall the details, let us know.