New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't sight new scope in.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can't lower the cross hairs anymore. The point of impact is still about 2 inches to low.
Shim?

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
A shim would work, but I prefer the burris signature rings with offset inserts.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The Burris rings really work well, that is the route I would take.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just by way of playing devils advocate - is it a correctly matched and mounted set of rings?

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
Just by way of playing devils advocate - is it a correctly matched and mounted set of rings?

Good point!
At least some Rugers use a high and low ring, other rifles use rings of identical heights but bases that are different heights.
Good catch Sagebrush.
Go back and check that your rings and bases are correct for the application.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a shim. We are set to go.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I hope it was a good thick shim, so your reticle is back near the middle of its travel.

'Constantly centred' reticles are only so because the target view behind them can be shifted. To take this situation too far is not optically desirable.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maxing out click adjustment on riflescope will or can cause adjustment failure or un-repeatability under recoil down the road.
I learn this the hard way, that's why I have 20 MOA scope base on my long range rifle set up.
Take it to a gunsmith and explain the situation as you will save yourself , time, fuel and ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Every scope should meet its zero at or near the center of it optical plane if you expect it to remail sighted in..

I don't use shims, even if I have to surface grind the guns receiver..You might try other bases and rings as something is out of specs when that happens, in many cases its the receiver of the gun..You didn't mention the make and model of your gun, nor if you have the correct bases and rings, or the proper height of rings..simply changing to a lower or higher ring might cure the problem.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote