New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope mounting height
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now that I have been shooting more than usual and alot more from the bench, I am wondering Do taller people tend to like a taller scope mount? I have always tried to keep my scope as tight to the barrel as possible, but as I was concentrating on my form the other day, I think my cheek weld would be alot better and more comfortable with a higher mount. I am shooting weaver bases with burris sig med rings. Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Its all about stock weld. How tall you are makes no difference in ring height. LOP may change, however.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stock fit when shooting from the bench is much less important than when shooting from a field position. With most sporter rifles, the stock comb is lower than it should be for most shooters (to allow for the obsolete use of iron sights), so mounting the scope as low as possible normally results in the best eye positioning. As Grady says, it has little or nothing to do with the shooter's height, but rather with how his face and eye fit the comb and scope picture.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought it might be my long neck. My LOP is 15". I just was more comfortable with my head elevated a bit but my cheek weld suffered then. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think how you choose to hold your gun is a very personal thing, dictated not least by your anatomy as well as pure habit.

I have friends in the US, with whom I go hunting every year. I simply can't shoot their rifles - their combination of high combs and low scope mounts makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to use their rifles. Even trying to get that low is painful on my cheekbone - quite apart from the fact I can only get about half of the full view through the scope. I used to think all people needed the same setup of scope and comb, but I must conclude this is far from true.

So if you are happy to shoot with a really serious cheek weld (as conventional wisdom will have you believe you must), great. If on the other hand, you get good results with another technique, what matters most - adhering to rules or observed results?

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually wind up above my cheek. That is why I was thinking of higher mounts. I think I will play with it in the off season. Thanks