THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Voting Poll: Preferred Binocular Magnification

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Voting Poll: Preferred Binocular Magnification
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering the purchase of new binocular. I am interested in hearing if the popular vote prefers 8x or 10x. I have not decided on brand or objective diameter or weight of bino. Please add comments as you see fit.

Thank you.

Question:
Bottom line answer, do you prefer 8x or 10x binocular if choosing between these two powers only?

Choices:
10x
8x

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer 8x.
many times when stalking I want to look through the binos, I hold my rifle in one hand and my Binos in the other.

I can hold 8x steadier than 10x with one hand.

I also only buy binos that I can adjust the focus wheel with one hand while looking through them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I use 8x as well for the same reasons. I have found also that the 8x is less tiring on eyes for lengthy sessions in open country like this.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatcha gonna use them for? It makes a big difference.

For "scanning", that is viewing a wide expanse of countryside looking to locate game, then the 8X is preferred because it will cause less eye strain when used for long periods of time and has a wider field of view.

If your need is to identify and evaluate game you've already located, or if you are viewing a relatively limited but distant area like a narrow valley or a sendero from a stand, then the 10x is a bit the better choice.

For all-around hunting, I would prefer the slightly more versatile 8x magnification. The 8x is usually available in a smaller, lighter package which is also a bit of advantage over the more powerful glass.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Eights are less tiring because they appear more stable, have a wider field of view and appear sharper ( better resolution). they are also better in windy conditions

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
neither...... 7x42....

but 8x42 over 10x42

CHECK OUT THE MEOPTA

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why 7x? Less eye strain?

Do all manufacturers make a 7x?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Why 7x? Less eye strain?

Do all manufacturers make a 7x?

Much of the decision on Binox power is the terrain I hunt. 7x's rule, and I'd buy a pair of 6x's if someone made a good pair.
Field of view rings clear with low power binox.
No one to my knowledge makes a top drawer pair if 7x30's or 32's. I have two pair of 7x42's, but they are heavy, at about 2 pounds each. 20 ounces is my target weight for carrying all day, and anything below 25 ounces is condidered/evaluated.
I do have an old pair of Zeiss 8x30's I use for carrying, because of the weight; they weigh in at 20 ounces. But, they are not in the same league optically with the Swaro, or Meopta 7x42's I have. So, I'll continue looking for that high end 20 ounce pair of 7x's. I'd go for a 20 ounce pair of 6x's too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My prefference is for a 10x42. I can see more with it in the mountains. And, if you want to see really well, you must rest both 8x and 10x as well. And in the woods, a good 10x Wide Angle is, for me, also better to pick up details and to split different planes.
Regards,

PH

one of us
posted Hide Post
For me, without doubt 10x42 Leicas or Zeiss (currently using Leicas), I have no problem holding them steady enough to scan game one handed but, of course, for better steadiness 2 hands are better, preferably supported.

BTW, somewhat unrelated but I spend some time last night trying to kill beavers (hopefully got two, I needed a shotgun with buckshot instead of the .300WM I had on hand, fast swimmingly little water rats) on one of my ponds, full moon. I thought the difference between 12x50s and 10x32s (both current production Leicas) was obvious, but it is more than obvious, it is the difference between seeing details and just shapes.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you locate game for example with naked eye and want a better look it is much easier to find them with a lower power. The higher power has to be held steadier and sometimes locating them through higher power binocular is difficult---saying that a lower power is faster. As mentioned less eye strain. A big deal is made about all the increase in light with larger objectives. It is true--more light. A cow would probably notice it with their large pupil--but us humans for the most part wont see much difference. Dont believe it? Go out at night with a pair of 7x35 and a pair of 7x50 except for the 7x50's being heavier you probably wont see any difference. Someone mentioned a good pair of 6x30 and they are correct. Now where to get a good pair of 7x35 or 6x30. Go to EBAY and find some Rochester New York made Bausch & Lomb Zephyr's. There was an older style WW1 that are good but from WW2 on the style is better--Zephyr is the style that is better. You can get a good pair on EBAY from under $100--to $200 and you wont beat them. The 7x50's are very good--but bulky. If the bulk not a problem they are good. Keep in mind they survived WW2 on ships etc and all the abuse they still in good shape. These old B&L's give you one bright round sharp to the edge view and put them beside anyones $1,000 plus glasses. Even on smaller binoculars, get the shoulder harness for them, much easier on the body than a strap around the neck.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
carpetman, I appreciate you taking time to reply to my post. But, are you saying WWI and WWII era American binocular optics are equal to or exceed 2009 most expensive binoculars?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf---No I'm not saying the WW1 era they are not as well designed. But I am saying the WW2 through mid 80's when B&L were made in Rochester Ny are atleast the equal---if not better than the expensive modern day stuff. Go to EBAY---find a pair of Zephyrs in good condition and if you can win the bid under $250 there is no better bargain in binoculars.($250 is a high figure--they can be obtained for much less). I got this tip about B&L back in late 60's from a friend that had an early 40's pair. I bought mine in 1969. They have been heavily uswed and keep on ticking. But compared to those that were used on ships in WW2 that are still ticking mine have not been used. Try a pair and you wont disagree with me.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf---I don't have a clue what your age is. If you are old enough that you went to an optometrist before probably 1985 all that I saw were using B&L equipment. Spotting scopes, rifle scopes, binoculars whatever---back then B&L was the name in optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok carpetman. Thanks for the tip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

BTW, somewhat unrelated but I spend some time last night trying to kill beavers (hopefully got two, I needed a shotgun with buckshot instead of the .300WM I had on hand, fast swimmingly little water rats) on one of my ponds, full moon. I thought the difference between 12x50s and 10x32s (both current production Leicas) was obvious, but it is more than obvious, it is the difference between seeing details and just shapes.
Gato! Shame on you! You're way to old to be out spending the night in pursuit of beavers. Besides, like a dog chasing a car, what would you do with it if you actually caught one? Big Grin However, if you were just "looking" at the beavers through binoculars, the greater resolution of the 12X glass would enhance your enjoyment of what you were seeing, provided that the excitement of actually spotting one didn't cause your hands to shake. I'm more of an ass man, myself.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do a bit of hunting from a boat and a 7x50 is the way to go if you can't afford the image stabilized models ($3,000)

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
8,5x

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
actually the 8.5x is perfect all-around

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8's are easier to hold steady and less tiring to look thru as you get older and shakier. Actually, I used 7x for all my hunting (Texas and west) up until just recently.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry 8x40 Nikon Monarch ATBs on bino buddies all the time. I keep the 10x50 Leicas in the truck most of the time.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My new favorite

Minox 8,5 x 52

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Burkhard:
My new favorite

Minox 8,5 x 52

Amen on the Minox except I bought 10X52 HG ASPH. I have compared them to Swarovski 10XWhatevers and the Minox apear clearer in the day and just as clear/bright if not more so in the late/low light times.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote