New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meopta Artimus
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is a Meopta Artimus scope? Cameraland has a pretty deep sale; could this be a discontinued model?

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 278 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
From Googling, it would appear the Artimus is a fixed-power line. This forum link might add to your knowledge about it:
http://www.opticstalk.com/meop...ostar_topic9507.html

The Meoptas I have looked at in the shops gave impressive views (within the modern, tunnel-visioned concept) but they seem enormous and prone to bumping.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked on the Meopta site and it has no mention of the Artimus models, but they are on the Camera Land site, which lists them on sale. The ones on the CL site are all variable.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 278 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
From Googling, it would appear the Artimus is a fixed-power line. [/url]

---

Incorrect (Shouldn't you know this, sambarman? After all, you wrote a book on optics! Smiler ).

The ARTEMIS line featured a number of models, both 1 and and 30mm tubes and both steel and aluminum alloy body options -- not to mention more variables than fixed power offerings. A variety of reticles options were available, from the #1 all the way through BDC-type and illuminated reticles. The illumination in these is better suited for true light light applications than the MeoStar as the lowest settings are notably dimmer.

All the Artemis variables I am aware of are FFP.

A vendor recently described these as "the MeoPro with a steel tube," but that is not fully correct, either. In fact, the coatings in these are not even the same as the MeoPro line, and the 3000 series is aluminum alloy.

Bottom line: They are robust and rugged and will serve you well for years to come.

Search "Meopta Artemis" for more info. You'll find more info from European users than from folks in the USA as they are much more widespread there, where knowledgeable hunters revere their performance.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Artemis are European FFP models. We brought them in to expand our Meopta offerings

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3667 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The deals Doug is offering are simply fantastic. Can't go wrong for those prices!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
From Googling, it would appear the Artimus is a fixed-power line. [/url]

---

Incorrect (Shouldn't you know this, sambarman? After all, you wrote a book on optics! Smiler ).

Sorry Bobby, unlike your good self, I don't claim to know everything about scopes (esp. recent one because I don't have much respect for them), just stuff about the mechanical difficiencies of modern scopes and certain dubious marketing developments. As I admitted in the preface, there is a world of optical arcanery I make no claim to know.

Have you read my book by any chance?

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've never claimed to know everything -- or anything -- about scopes. I simply pointed out the facts.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Don't Be superior Sambarman. Back to IGNORE with you. Bobby is one of the best and a true gentleman. Don't go away mad, just go away! But Be Well, Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, I pretty much found out what I wanted to know! I'd buy the 1.5X6 for an upcoming buffalo rifle but the 3" eye relief scares me.

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
Don't Be superior Sambarman. Back to IGNORE with you. Bobby is one of the best and a true gentleman. Don't go away mad, just go away! But Be Well, Packy

Thanks Packy. May I say you you have selected a most-suitable appellation?