New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ziess Rapid Z
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for feed back on these Scope/Retical.. Anybody had any range time .. What do you think about them as a Hunting Scope..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
They are excellent. I have one 4.5x14x44 RapidZ 800 on a 6.5 rem mag and shoot a 130 gr Scirrocco to 600 yards on 12 power.

The glass is exceptionally clear! I have seen 22-250 holes at 300 yards when no other scope I have would do it (that includes a Zeiss Diavari, 2 Kahles MultiZeros, Burris Black Diamond, etc). The reticle is easy to use, just remember, to bring the POI up - take the power down, to bring the POI down - turn the power up.

You still have to shoot at long range to verify but that probably has more to do with incorrect ballistic coefficients than the Zeiss calculator and reticle.

I have now installed 4 of the RapidZ 800's and 2 of the RapidZ 600's on friend's rifles. They look through mine and it is an instant sale. I should get a commission from Zeiss and TheOpticZone!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods
Thanks for your reply .. I'm leaning toward the 2.5-10x44 Z600 for my 7mm Mag..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a difference between the rapid z's and the regular #20 reticals in clarity or is it the same scope with a different retical?

Posts: 168 | Location: SW PA | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lengleng:
Is there a difference between the rapid z's and the regular #20 reticals in clarity or is it the same scope with a different retical?

Should be the same scope just with a different reticle.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one on an elk / deer rifle and found the reticle too difficult to see in twilight. It is great on a varmint gun but was not adequate for some hunting situations for me.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently shot a wild boar with mine just before sundown. No problem with seeing the reticle for me and I was able to place the shot just behind the shoulder for a quick kill.

We were hunting at Tejon Ranch in CA. The next day I tried shooting my rifle at the steel plates they have set up at 409, 550 and 750 yards. I was able to get first shot hits on all of the plates by using the reticle. The hunting guides did not think I had any hope of hitting any of the plates with my "hunting rifle". I not only scored first round hits, but I hit the 750 yard steel plate 6 times out of 7.

My rifle is a Pre64 M70 Featherweight 30-06 and I was shooting 180 grain Barnes TSX bullets at 2,675 fps. Once you set the scope to the bullet and velocity you are shooting, the ranges are dead on.

I am sold on the Rapid Z reticle.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shumba:
I recently shot a wild boar with mine just before sundown. No problem with seeing the reticle for me and I was able to place the shot just behind the shoulder for a quick kill.

We were hunting at Tejon Ranch in CA. The next day I tried shooting my rifle at the steel plates they have set up at 409, 550 and 750 yards. I was able to get first shot hits on all of the plates by using the reticle. The hunting guides did not think I had any hope of hitting any of the plates with my "hunting rifle". I not only scored first round hits, but I hit the 750 yard steel plate 6 times out of 7.

My rifle is a Pre64 M70 Featherweight 30-06 and I was shooting 180 grain Barnes TSX bullets at 2,675 fps. Once you set the scope to the bullet and velocity you are shooting, the ranges are dead on.

I am sold on the Rapid Z reticle.

Tim

That's impressive shooting on your part!!! thumb

Kudos to you..

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
found the reticle too difficult to see in twilight.

I had a similar experience in low light conditions with a friend's Swarovski's BR reticle. Those little lines just disappeared when my 4A reticle would still have worked quite well.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
According to the ballistic charts that 30-06 will drop 442" at 750 yards. Based on 200 yard dead on hold. Is there that much adjustment in that scope?

One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony ZZZZ:
According to the ballistic charts that 30-06 will drop 442" at 750 yards. Based on 200 yard dead on hold. Is there that much adjustment in that scope?

Not sure what ballistic charts you're using but 442" seems to be off. I got 166.5" at 750 yds. And yes, according to Zeiss's Rapid Z calculator it does have that much "adjustment."

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
The Zeiss RapidZ does not need "adjustment", the holdover is part of the reticle and you don't adjust anything

posted Hide Post
The glass in mine is awesome. I just wish I had gotten a mildot reticle instead of the z1000. I am not happy with it and prefer to dial in my come ups. People have questioned why I dont like it on other forums and I am getting sick of explaining all the reasons why I dont like it so I am not going to do it here. It just isnt for me and I am trying to sell it.

Posts: 4 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
wild1 send you a pm

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
PM'ed you back.

Posts: 4 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With Quote