THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Leupold VX3 4,5-14. Which model would you recommend?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX3 4,5-14. Which model would you recommend?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted
I am looking at getting a Leupold VX3 in 4.5-14 to mount on a 270. Specifically I am looking at the 4.5-14x50LR Varmint Hunter and the standard 4.5-14x50 with Varmint Hunter reticle. Am also considering the same models with the 40mm objective lens.

My first question regards the need for the parralax adjustment on the side of the LR model. I.e. is it really needed when compared to the normal model without it?

Second question is with regards to the objective lens, x40 or x50??? Is the added weight of the x50 worth the better lowlight performance/clarity?

Cheers

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell us what you plan to hunt with this .270 and under what conditions. That can make a huge difference in what scope to recommend.

However, generally speaking, there are very few animals which one would hunt with a .270 that require 14X magnification to see plainly enough to shoot. Likewise, there are few situations in which the very marginal light amplification of the 50 mm lens would represent an advantage that offsets its size, weight, and high mounting position disadvantages.

But maybe you intend to shoot gerbils at 500 yards by moonlight, so I could be wrong.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got that same VX-3L except with B&C reticle, 4.5X14X50. I'm sticking it on a 30-378 that I use up on the summit for way longer than I should shooting at, probably. Pretty nice scope, I'm happy enough with it. I buy a few used guns, they always seem to have Burris, Nikons, ect on them. I always end up changing to Leupolds; superstitious I guess. I'm thinking about sending it in for CDS.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with a 6.5X20LR send it to Leupold and have an M1 turret put on elevation and never look back. Varmint hunter reticle is nice and the B&C is horrible.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote