THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Experiences with Leupold and Talley QD Mounts?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experiences with Leupold and Talley QD Mounts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted
I have narrowed down my choices for quick release scope mounts to Leupold and Talley. I’ve heard good things about both, but I wonder if any of you have experience with both of them, and could tell me what you do or don’t like about each. I will be choosing one of them to use on a Model 70 .375H&H with a Leupold scope.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Leupolds with a setup like yours with good results. Haven't tried the Talleys.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a bunch of Talley's and more than a half dozen of the Leupolds. There are 2 Leupy mounts that are QD, a small 'tab'style, and the Picatinny/Weaver style. I have had a scope shear the 'tab' style, the Weaver type are Hell for Stout. Overall I like the Talley's much more, but the Leupy Picatinny/Weaver style are damn good for sure.

I like the look of the Vertical rings for the Talley's to.....I think Talley's are lighter thatn the Leupy/Weaver, but heavier than their standard or 'tab' style.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had M70 .375 H&H's with both those mounts. Of the two I prefer the talleys. The Leupold mounts have the rear base overhanging the ejection port which could potentially interfere with reloading and creates a look I personally just don't like. The talleys don't have the overhang. Both are strong, repeatable setups, but I'd have to give the strength advantage to talley, they're really stout.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started out with the Leupold quick release mount system on some rifles, and have decided to stick with them. I just four sets of Leupold quick release rings last week for some new rifles.
However, I like the Talley's better. If I was starting out from scratch, I'd go Talley all the way.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Talley and don't look back, had em on two different 375 H&Hs never failed me. And oh yea they do retain zero.

Posts: 266 | Location: Montana, up on the Highline | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Talley's on my 375H&H. Return to zero has been only fair for the two sets of mounts and three sets of rings I've used.

For example, my 375H&H is a very accurate rifle and capable of three shot cloverleafs. So, I'll sight in and remove the scope, remount and shoot three... If I do this enough I end up with a two inch high by three inch wide box with the mojority of three shot groups at the perimeter of the box.

I have tried different lever tightening regimes, extra care in positioning...nothing changes the outcome. For what I use my 375H&H for this is ok, except for leopard hunting.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Talleys are better, you will someday break one of the levers on the Leupold QR mounts. Almost all of my hunting rifle now have Talley QR mounts. They look good as well.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote