New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally, an optical casuality
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When my son deployed to Iraq last year I sent him two of my Leupold scopes, a Leupold spotting scope, two sets of Steiner binoculars, and my Leica 1200 range finder.

Last week, after 11 months of really rough treatment, the first piece of optical gear went belly up.

The Leupold spotting scope, mounted on a tripod, got knocked over and smashed into the ground and the glass in the eyepiece cracked. It is still functional, but the crack is large enough to make good viewing really difficult.

Not a bad track record for Leupold, Steiner and Leica.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I'd send it back to Leupold and ask what their going to do about it.
No need to mention the war.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not the least bit worried about Leupold fixing this scope. Leupold supports our troops and their products are serving those troops fantastically.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember back when I was in the Navy that we were supplied everything we needed. I think its great that good old Dad would send stuff for his son to use, but I guess I don't understand why Uncle Sam can't supply that stuff?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I remember back when I was in the Navy that we were supplied everything we needed. I think its great that good old Dad would send stuff for his son to use, but I guess I don't understand why Uncle Sam can't supply that stuff?

You and me both! The one that really pissed me off was when I had to buy an ambidextrous selector switch and charging handle for my son‘s M4 because he’s left handed. If it hadn’t been for M1Tanker my son and his guys wouldn’t have had any cleaning gear when they went through Ft. Bliss prior to deploying last year.

I have the strangest feeling that the gear gets bought but once it hits the supply system it “disappears†pretty quick and never gets to the grunts who need it. You ever wonder where all the brand new “surplus†stuff you see for sale comes from?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have the strangest feeling that the gear gets bought but once it hits the supply system it “disappears†pretty quick and never gets to the grunts who need it

Just watch the boards and it is pretty easy to see where it is going. Its not even hidden.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also remember that when I was in the Navy if a person was caught stealing from the Navy they were court martialed and booted out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uafgrad:
quote:
I have the strangest feeling that the gear gets bought but once it hits the supply system it “disappears†pretty quick and never gets to the grunts who need it

Just watch the boards and it is pretty easy to see where it is going. Its not even hidden.

Early on in the War a Marine at Pendelton got caught selling the new armored vests on e-Bay. They should hang the SOB’s that get caught doing that crap when our troops are having to scrounge for the gear they need.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick
quote:
They should hang the SOB’s that get caught doing that crap when our troops are having to scrounge for the gear they need.

Come on Rick why you want to let that guy off so easy?

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kinda reminds me of when I was in lejune there was a E-6 that got cought sending his kid home a tank, piece bypiece. when they caught him the kid had it about 90% assembled

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote