THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    An odd Swarovski question in regards to their "fixed" spotter

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An odd Swarovski question in regards to their "fixed" spotter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not often, a new hunting product gets me really excited. However, when I first saw the new Swarovski
spotting scope with the double eye piece, I WAS very excited. However, they are expensive!

I decided to go and look at one on Saturday and found out from the salesman that they are "fixed" power and not a variable.

I am no expert with optics but really enjoy good quality glass. With that said, why on earth do they not make a variable spotter with the double eyepiece? As far as I know, they and Doctor optics are the only companies that offer a double eyepiece (I could be wrong).

This really has me scratching my head. I would never buy a fixed power spotter but would certainly consider the variable.

I am confused (which is not saying much Smiler).

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kowa also makes a double eyepiece spotter.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Maybe its just to do one product at a time or, maybe, there is a technical problem. The sort of thing that comes to my mind is, by analogy only, why I can't recall ever seeing a Pecar Champion variable.

I'm told they exist but it seems to me the field stop used to give a constantly centred reticle in a fixed power would result in massive tunnel vision at some powers if applied to a variable.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what does having the binocular eyepiece do for a spotting scope?

It certainly won’t give true binocular vision with depth perception since it’s one lens overall.

I’m kind of kicking around getting one since the el cheapo ones I inherited are not even as good as the scopes on my rifles... and if I’m going to buy something, buy once, cry once.

Posts: 11025 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your brain just perceives better with binocular vision. Also when you close one eye most people strain the other so fatigue becomes a factor.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abbispa:
Your brain just perceives better with binocular vision. Also when you close one eye most people strain the other so fatigue becomes a factor.

Great comment and I agree 100%. I just get tired of squinting with one eye. The double eye piece just seemed like a great option . However, I have never tried one.

With that said, I will not buy a "fixed" scope. I want the variable zoom and therefore, will go back to the traditional spotter or a pair of 15X bino's.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have binoculars in fixed power and my Rochester NY B&L is not variable..I want nothing to do with such...

Ive played with them all and I like a set of binocs to spot game with but when sizing up the trophy quality give me a single Lens, its simply clearer and better IMO...I can take the lens off and I have the option of a 30 MM 25 MM and a 60mm..I end up only using the 30mm as it is the best for me..

the other thing is I can see small caliber bullet holes in my 100 and 200 yard targets with the BL, I cannot with any variable or split vision scope or in fact most spotting scopes of the day....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote