Find
Notify
Tools

steiner predator
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted
has any one had any experiance with these? dont know if ill like the autofocus in tight brush. thinking 8x30maby 10x40 but want to keep them light. dont like the tiny ones at all.mostly eastern white tail out to abt 200 yds. in n.j. and maine in thick cover 100 yds or less.
dont have the money for any really good binocs and have a 50$set bushnell that i took to africa and have stuck on the boat. thanks

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By "autofocus" I think you mean Individual Eye Focus. I like I.F. binoculars for any number of reasons. If, and only if, you anticipate your target yardage to be variable closer than about 20 yards will you find the IF feature problematic. Otherwise, set to infininty, they are well-focused down to that range. Besides, one or two "clicks", which can be done simultaneously on both eyes as you hold them on target will refocus -- virtually as simple as center-focus models.

The Steiner's are generally a good buy. I had one of the Military Marine models in the promo 8x30 which did not seem to have the quality of lenses that I felt they should. The problem was that compared to comparably priced and sized binos they were obviously inferior at night. However, the Predators are represented to have superior lenses to the MM line.

My favorites in the Predator price range are the old Leupold I.F. models. You'll find that a lot of people liked them, because they always sell pretty high when they come up on ebay.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote