Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski vs Zeiss
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted
I am looking for a 1" scope for a new Blaser R-93 synthetic model that I am purchasing. I have a Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 30mm on my other Blaser, but I want something lighter and smaller for this gun. I have been looking at Swarovski and Zeiss 3-9 scopes but am having a hard time deciding. I have Conquests on most of my guns, but I am wanting something a little nicer for this Blaser. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know I'm a newbie here but here's my $.02.

I also own a Zeiss VM/V 4x12 56mm so I know what you're used to with regard to optical performance & quality. With that in mind, you owe it to yourself to consider the Kahles CL line. To my eyes, the CL glass is just a tad brighter with better clarity than that used in the Swarovski American line. Mechanically, the CL is outstanding and the side focus is a nice feature.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 20 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way. I have a high end custom 300wsm arriving next week and I want to put a high end quality scope on it. I won this rifle except for some of the upgrades so it is not a matter of money is no object. I have thought about the Swarovski A-line but not sure I want to spend that much so I was thinking about the Zeiss Conquest I would like to make this an All American Rifle but the only scope I like is the Leupold LPS. I have seen this scope mounted on rifles on the cover of magazines (Sports Afield) and it really looks great. I like everything about this scope except the weight; which is not bad for a 30mm scope and the price and I don't really know the price. I also do not know how good it is optically or how durable it is. I think both the Swarovski A-line and the Leupold LPS line are being replaced next year so maybe there will be some closeout sales on both. You may want to wait for the new Swarovski replacement if you are willing to spent around $1000 or more. You said you wanted high quality and light weight and the Swarovski A-line is about as good as you can get. I think I will just put a scope I currently own on the rifle and wait a few months to see what takes place with the new scopes. I plan to take this rifle to Africa so I have at least 3 months to make a decision. Decisions! Decisions!!

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I ended up removing a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest from an R93 due to the extra long eye relief of the Zeiss. To accomodate the R93 saddle mounts I had the turret jammed all the way to the front rings but then again I'm a giraffe-necked stock-crawler anyway.

For the Blaser's (R93 & K95) I have found Euro 6x42's (Kahles & S&B) to be just the trick, mucho smaller and give me all the scope I need.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have been recently discontinued, but the Zeiss 3-9x42, made in Germany, has a one inch tube, superb optics, a great reticle, long eye relief, is about the same length as a Leupy 3-10x40, and weighs 14.5 oz on my scale. They can be had from ebay; Alex Roy at Euro-optics has a few as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Schmidt & Bender 4x36 that would be excellent for your rifle that I might sell.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rsm458Lott:
I have a Schmidt & Bender 4x36 that would be excellent for your rifle that I might sell.

I appeciate the offer, but I really want a variable power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at the Schmidt&Bender Zenith series, either 3-12x56 or 2,5-10x50.

S&B is currently regarded as at least equal to better than Zeis and Swaro by many European wild boar(night) hunters. This is because S&B, like Swaro only produce the very best high end scopes available on the market!

Moreover imho it is the most beautifully designed and well built scope availabe nowadays.

Their Convex internal rail mount system is as sturdy as the Zeiss and Swaro systems and offers the additional possibility to level the recticle, should this be necessary.

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff I have 30MM scopes by Swarovski and S&B, they are great scopes for sure, however when i want a good scope with a 1" tube I usually get a Ziess.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2
I am planning a "tracker" R-93 in 243 for lightweight everyday carrying. I am ordering a 243 barrel from Aleko and going to have his gunsmith cut it down to 19 or 20 inches. I have 30mm scopes on other guns too, but I am looking for something lighter and less bulky for this gun. Would you go with a Diavari or Conquest for the gun that I am describing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had both the Conquest and Diavari in 3-9x42. The Diavari is better, albeit I wouldn't necessarily say it's $600 better. The optical quality is slightly better, and I have found the Diavaris to be bombproof in typical calibers(ie 375 H7H or less). In the Diavaris the reticle adjustments are precise (all of my scopes "complete the square"), but to some extent this quality is unnessary, as I never have to rezero after a trip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have sevreal of each & like the Zeiss Diavari better because its crosshairs are thicker.. In the US a 3x4x42 is over $1,000 while a swor "A" is around $600. If I was going to buy new I'd go cheeper.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy what your eyes see the best through. I have tried both and went with Swaro as my eyes liked it better.

Posts: 10268 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I have made my decision! I am going with a Swarovski Habicht AV 3-9x36. I found one on ebay NIB that was about $150 below retail. I really don't like spending that kind of money on an item sight unseen, but at the price, I don't think I went wrong. Thanks for all the replies.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Please excuse my ignorance but you and I seem to both be looking for Swarovski scopes at the same time and I'm confused. Confused

You bought a....
quote:
Swarovski Habicht AV 3-9x36
and I don't find that anywhere. Is this also known by a different name? bewildered

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they are both very good optically but I chose the Swarovski because they seemed to "snap" into focus better for me.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDHunter:
Jeff,

Please excuse my ignorance but you and I seem to both be looking for Swarovski scopes at the same time and I'm confused. Confused

You bought a....
quote:
Swarovski Habicht AV 3-9x36
and I don't find that anywhere. Is this also known by a different name? bewildered

$bob$

Bob
Have you looked at the Swarovski website. It is under the AV series. On cabelas.com, it is called the "A line". http://www.swarovskioptik.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reindeer:
Have a look at the Schmidt&Bender Zenith series, either 3-12x56 or 2,5-10x50.

S&B is currently regarded as at least equal to better than Zeis and Swaro by many European wild boar(night) hunters. This is because S&B, like Swaro only produce the very best high end scopes available on the market!

i think nightforce deserves a mention.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a new Swaro 3-9 w/TDS reticle on ebay right now.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Thanks for the help... thumb

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 1" V series Zeiss scopes and while I like them I do not find them that much better than the 1" 3X9X36 scope that preceded the Conquest line. IMHO these are great scopes that were discontinued because of cost to produce. There is one now in the Classifieds and usually they can be found on ebay for about $500. If you can find one of these, you will be pleased and save about $300.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
I have made my decision! I am going with a Swarovski Habicht AV 3-9x36. I found one on ebay NIB that was about $150 below retail. I really don't like spending that kind of money on an item sight unseen, but at the price, I don't think I went wrong. Thanks for all the replies.

Update! If sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The ebay seller had no feed back. My first mistake. He has been slow to answer his emails, and now he does not accept money orders (which the auction clearly states that he does). I emailed him back that a money order can be on the way tomorrow, but the ball is in his court. We'll see? I may be back to looking for a scope.