New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold QRW problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone ever had a problem with them? i have some on my kimber montana 8400 in 300wsm.

the *keys* that fit into the cross slots are made of what looks like cast stainless. as soft as butter.

the rear one of mine has twisted and broke, the front one is about to split right through the middle and you can see its changes shapes.

MY brother is going to make me up some more made out of steel so they will be stronger. and we have this idea that we can quickmetal the keys into the cross slots so they deffinately wont move! im going to lightly sand all the binding areas on the ring to base areas and use a strong loc-tite on it so it binds evenly.

heres hoping it works

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them in the past but I never had a problem with the finger tabs. QRW's do tend to tear up a scopes finish if they are not carefully installed and lapped. I have stopped using them and switched to MK 4 rings and bases.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Only negative I have heard is they are very harsh on scope tubes.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really need to switch to Talley's! Use the lightweights if you know what scope you want to leave on the rifle and the QR's with levers if you have a couple scopes you want to use on one rifle.
You've had way too many scope/mount problems with your Montana. Switch to Talley's and you won't have any more issues.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Yes,same thing happened to me on my PC 500 Smith revolvers...Go to the Talleys!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
My Encore in 375 H&H Magnum soon shot Leupold QR rings loose. I use Talley's in a 458 Lott & have had no problems with them.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
You really need to switch to Talley's! Use the lightweights if you know what scope you want to leave on the rifle and the QR's with levers if you have a couple scopes you want to use on one rifle.
You've had way too many scope/mount problems with your Montana. Switch to Talley's and you won't have any more issues.........................DJ

I know its had alot of problems in that area! i think i got off to a bad start with it and ive never really fixed the problem only delayed it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh, and id like to add im fairly sure it happened when the front ring started to wind itself off while i was shooting at the range. from shooting an inch to 3 inches with the same load made me look at the rifle and i could see that it was unwinding. think it fired 5 shots on the occasion. its happened more than once. stupid quick release.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dj, do the talleys come with there own mounts? or do you have to use the original ones? dont know if i have the originals anymore.

I think i heard someone say that there were one peice mounts available for them, is this true?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the Weaver-style QR rings, I like the Warnes. They are rugged and reasonably priced. Cabela's is closing out their "house brand" Warnes for a pretty good price, but I don't know how much it would cost to ship them to NZ. Look in the bargain cave at www.cabelas.com.
Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote