Notify
Tools

Leupold VX3 vs Sightron SIII
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted
Hey Guys,

I've just completed building a new Savage/Shilen .260 Remington build, and I'm looking to top it with some new optics. It will primarily be a bench gun spending time at 100-700 yards, but may see 1-2 white tail trips a year.

I'm looking for something in the 6-20ish power range, with around 100MOA of internal adjustment. I've got a Vari-X III mounted on a .223 bench gun that I absolutely love. I would buy another, but it doesn't have enough adjustment internally, and it's got the standard hunter turrets.

In the past I've had a VX3 8.5-25x50LRT on a 300 RUM that was a good scope, but it started "boiling" and getting a bad mirage at anything past 20 power in less than perfect conditions. I also felt my older Vari-X III has better optical clarity, with just as precise adjustment.

I had all but settled on a new Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50LRT with a fine duplex reticle, but I've tried to keep an open mind and look at alternatives. To me the Leupold is a constant, a bench mark, and solid glass. That being said, I can't help but think it's slightly overpriced for what you get.

Over the past few days, I've been frantically searching for feedback & reviews on scopes in this relative price range ($700-$1000) with these features.

I've noticed the Sightron SIII series seems to be getting a good bit of publicity on several forums, and I wanted to get some feedback from those that have used them. I have seen them compared to Leupolds, NightForce (BR series mostly), and other high end optics. In most cases the reviews seem to indicate they are better than the Leupold and "on par" with a NightForce BR scope.

I don't have a Sightron dealer close to me, so I was hoping I could get some feedback from those of you with an SIII and other high end optics. What would you do?

Question:
What would you choose?

Choices:
Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 LRT
Sightron SIII 6-24x50 Long Range Mil-Dot

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF you like the glass, don't let the range of adjustment bother you... get Burris Sigs with up to 40 MOA (reverse the 20s in front and back) or a 20 or 25MOA rail... look thru ALL candidates in the conditions you expect to be shooting in and then select what appeals to you.

VR
Earl

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find this a great scope for precision shooting. I can't tell whether it will meet your specific requirements, I guess you'll have to make up your own mind about that?? Price wise (as you'll see) it can be had as a demo-model in the range you are looking at (scroll down a bit for demo models)

http://www.cameralandny.com/op...zeiss.pl?page=521450

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but it started "boiling" and getting a bad mirage at anything past 20 power in less than perfect conditions

That's a characteristic of high magnification when looking through the gases of the atmosphere, not of a particular optical instrument.

Are you sure you want a scope of that magnification and size if you intend to take whitetails with it, even if just occasionally?

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give the SIII 6 x 24 with the new LRMOA reticle a try. I own a bunch of these and love the value and clarity for my long range shooting. They track extremely well too.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had them both and would go with the leupold. Better quality and service IMO.

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dampatents:
IF you like the glass, don't let the range of adjustment bother you... get Burris Sigs with up to 40 MOA (reverse the 20s in front and back) or a 20 or 25MOA rail... look thru ALL candidates in the conditions you expect to be shooting in and then select what appeals to you.

VR
Earl

Both the scopes he is looking at have 30mm tubes. The best MOA increase you can get with 30mm Burris Sig. rings would be 20MOA and that would depend on perfect ring spacing. 30mm Signature rings only have 0 and 10 MOA inserts.

I have a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and also a SIII in 8-32x56. Both have exceptional glass for there price range, but I don't feel it's the equal of my Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest.

Posts: 43 | Location: Chardon, Ohio | Registered: 18 October 2009Reply With Quote