New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advices on target scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I need advices on which scope to install on a Rem. 700 varmint cal. 308 W. I'm planning to begin some semi-serious target shooting at 200 and 300 meters, but I have no idea on which magnification and reticle are suitable. Brands could be Nikon, Burris or Bushnell for instance. Thanks.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are there any regulations which you have to observe in your (regulated?) target shooting?? E.g. max magnification of 12x (common in Central Europe), or max total weight of the rifle plus scope (e.g. 5kg, also common in Central Europe)?? If so, you'll have to take those issues into consideration.

If not, I personally like a top magnification of at least 14x but would gladly go as high as 20x or even higher. It also depends on what positions you shoot (e.g. bench vs. prone) and what magnifications you can consequently take advantage of.

As far as reticle is concerned, I have found reticles which are really fine to be problematic if you have to shoot when the light is not absolutely perfect. It also depends on your target background, whether the reticle tends to disappear against the target. I personally like the Zeiss Z-Plex reticle, and target dots. I try to stay away from ultra fine crosshairs type reticles. They work great under perfect conditions, but you risk loosing them if you have to shoot in the early morning or late afternoon.

Another aspect, is that it is GREAT if your scope allows you to see your impacts on the target. This is such an advantage! However, depending on the nature and distance of your target, this can be quite a feat. For that, you really benefit from scopes with first rate optical resolution. The best scope I personally have in this respect is a Swarovski A-series 6-18x50. Almost as good, and a bit cheaper are Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 or 4.5-14x44 (or x50).

If you can either find a dealer in the US who will send scopes to you, or if you have a cousin in the States who will turn around a package for you, these scopes can be had for a fraction of what they list for in Europe.

Good luck.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what reticle would work the best for you, but the Burris Black Diamond is a great scope for the money. It has the reticle etched internally into the lens and the clarity is awesome. I bought one to put on a varmint rifle in 6-24X50 with the Ballistic Mildot reticle. They also have the 8-32X50 and both of these have the side paralax adjust knob and target turrets with 1/8 MOA "click" for precise target shooting. I was planning on buying the Burris Signature Select but went into Garretson Sporting store in Greeley, CO. while visiting my son and D-I-L and compared the two side by side and the Black Diamond put the Signature to shame.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since approximately 98% of the competitive target shooters use Leupolds (and the remaining 2% use out-of-production scopes like old Unertls or Redfields), I certainly wouldn't advise you to use a Leupold. What would those guys know? By all means, buy a Bushnell or some such.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello wildboar,

I'm in a similar situation trying to make a decision on a scope. My application will be both varmint hunting and target shooting and as mho said the fine reticles are problematic in the hunting field. I've also found taget dot reticles to be hard for me to see in the hunting field as well. However, both types are desired for target shooting.

Currently I'm in the process of getting more information on Nightforce and US Optics scopes. You may want to start the decision on whether or not you want a varible scope. A fixed power may meet your needs better as a target shooter.

Happy Holidays.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote