New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brunton binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience or opinions with either the Brunton 8x32 or 8x45 Eterna binoculars?

I have a two pairs of 7x50 B&L's from WWII that are great but heavy, and a pair of Steiner Merlin in 8x32. I like the Steiner's, but I'm looking for something better and more robust and something lighter than the B&L's. Thanks.

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Brunton's have a rap for being overpriced for the quality of optics you get in return. This is just what I have gathered over the years on the optics forums.

You may wants to take a look at the Pentax DCF SP,ED or the Minox HG,BD or BL depending on how much you want to spend. They tend to represent a lot of bino for the money.

Posts: 5 | Location: Keller, TX | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Vortex Viper line has been getting good press lately. Haven't seen them yet, but hope to this next week. Check out Birdforum, optics for birding, better view desired. The birdwatchers know optics pretty well.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input; I'll check out the Pentax, Minox and Vortex glass. The Japanese scopes that I have previewed or purchased are nice, although I would prefer to purchase US glass.

A year or so ago, I purchase a Leupold spotting scope and was disappointed with both the optics and that it was manufactured in Indonesia (so much for looking for the deals on E-bay).

I noticed that Vortex is based out of Wisconsin. Is this firm just a distributor or do they manufacturer the item in the States? Thanks.

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I used a pair of my Father's Bruntons last year, he bought them for $600 used I think they are Epochs and they were $1400 new? Something like that.

Anyway, Brunton is a Wyoming based company but everything optical is made in Japan by Fujinon or Hakko. Good quality but probably not as good as Zeiss Swaro or Leica.

I have had really good look with 8.5x56 Nikons. They were $275 and are better than any pair I have ever had even a pair of Swaorvski EL 8.4x42.

Good luck.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought 2 pairs of the Campmor branded Brunton 10x42s for my varmint hunting kits and like them pretty well. They aren't as optically crisp as binos selling for several times the price, but I think that they are a heck of a buy for $70 and will probably buy a couple more pairs to give as gifts.

www.campmor.com Item # 86649

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote