Find
Notify
Tools

Wide scope range
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted
I have a rifle where the scope base was not aligned properly. As a result, the scope is off by about 4 feet at 100 yards. I had a Hawke scope that could reach the point of impact, but the last couple of scopes I tried [a Burris and a Nikon] could not. Does any one have a recommendation? My budget is limited to about 300 bucks.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Will you receiver take a one piece mount with a windage adjustable base?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're a candidate for a windage adjustable base.

That's assuming that you aren't the victim of a windage adjustable base used improperly. I've seen that happen more often than rifles that needed the base in the first place. Smiler

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Wish it was that easy. I made the mistake of buying a old winchester 43 off my cousin who needed the cash. It wasn't tapped for a scope base, so someone made some rings and expoxied them to the receiver. Once I realized that that destroyed the collectors value, I made my second mistake, shooting it. It's such a sweet shooting, accurate rifle, it became my favorite rifle to shoot. I now need to replace the scope, hence this dilema.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The epoxy resin mostly sold here has a melting point of 50 to 80 Celsius, so maybe holding it over a gas ring for a moment would loosen it.

I would not try to wind any scope four feet, even if it had that much adjustment, as optical problems can occur at the end of clicks. You are really looking through the objective lens edges out there and that may cause misses akin to parallax.

Posts: 5012 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or if you want to keep the epoxied scope rings you could take the barreled action out of the stock and whack it over an anvil to bend the barrel sideways the appropriate amount. Then the mounts and the barrel would be a good match for each other.

Like Sambarman says, the epoxy can be melted with judicious application of heat, probably without damaging the finish of the receiver. You could then start over with proper drilling and tapping. The properly mounted bases would possibly cover whatever discoloration is left from Bubba's epoxy job. A sweet-shooting Model 43 is too fine a rifle to spend eternity with cobbled together parts glued on it.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
IIRC acetone might clean off the epoxy, once you remove the mounts. I would do it before it cools off too much.

Posts: 5012 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Take your $300.00 and find a local gunsmith that can properly set up some scope bases, then use your existing scope.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sambarman338 gave you the solution. Remove the epoxied bases with heat. The epoxy will melt long before your receiver gets warm.

Once the epoxy is soft, knock the base loose with a wooden or nylon mallet, then clean the epoxy off the receiver.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote