THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Need info on Schmidt and Bender scope adjustments

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on Schmidt and Bender scope adjustments
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought a rifle with a S&B scope on it. The turret adjustments were different from any I have ever seen.

It had a knurled knob for adjusting up/down with graduations all the way around the face of the knob like a US (or Chinese?) scope, and "nach" written on the face of the knob at the 12 o'clock with arrows in opposite directions, one pointing to T and the other to H. At six o'clock of the face of this knob was a 4mm glass window with an adjusting screw visible under it and graduations marked around it inscribed with an "M" at the top, middle (12 o'clock of the window) and an "H" in the same direction as the arrow above, and a "T" in the other direction.

The left/right adjustment has the same general layout as described above except the letters are "L" and "R."

From my German, "nach" means to or towards, and "L" links (left),"R" rechts (right). I suspect that "T" is tief (low or deep) and "H" is hoch (high).

What puzzles me is the adjustment at six o'clock. It is beyond me because you cannot reach the screw which is covered with glass or plastic, and I cannot see what it would adjust.

Any knowledge of these things out there??? All help is greatly appreciated. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been years since I messed with a S&B scope so I'm probably wrong, but I don't think the screw behind the glass is an adjustment, just an indicator pointer. But I could be wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes sense Boltman. Thanks. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Boltman is correct.

The screw under the glass should not be touched and the "dial" around it indicates how many complete rotations of the outer turret you have made. There is a bigger one, or a different colour, that indicates the centre point. So, if the optics in the scope are centred then this little dial should be lined up to show this. This gives you a good idea of how much more movement you have available to you and in an ideal world the scope would be shooting dead on when in this centre position on both elevation and windage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the confirmation. Kudude

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
I agree with caorach, the litles arrows indicate the reticle position, Those S&B are excelent!!!.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, you Guys are GOOD!

Figured out all the little Gizzmo's on the Scope AND their meanings - Excellent!

These scopes (wasn't just S&B, either) were thusly manufactured to assist the Gunsmith in mounting and sighting-in with the older less flexible mounting systems (Claw Mounts and custom Pivot Mounts) so they knew how much horizontal & vertical adjustment was available from Dead Center.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote